Prerunner / Chase Expedition in the making

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hunter if your fabricator falls through let me know my friend that was with me grew up welding and can do some amazing stuff. we are just short a tubing bender right now thats why my brush guard and roof rack are not made yet

OP
OP
R

rewarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
200eb - You mentioned that they only made shorty headers for the Expy. I found these on Summit Racing. They look like long tube but the item discription says shorty but the image looks like long tube. Here is the link: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-89496/?rtype=10

Also, what do you guys think of the yellow Accel coils? I'll be using the Motorcraft sparkplugs. I'm looking for effeciency and MPG increase.

I am going to get the Edge CTS gauge when funds are available. I want to milk this MPG for all it's worth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rewarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have the Triton 5.4L motor. But what size is it? 331, 332, 350 etc... Does anyone know how I can find out what the actual motor is in it? My Manual is missing as usual. -Rewarder

OP
OP
R

rewarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it's a 330. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm trying to find some headers for the truck. What exactly does "shorty" mean. I thought it was a compact header system. But some of the headers I'm seeing on Summit look like long tube but they still say "shorty". What constitutes Long Tube Headers?

Last edited:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5.4=330. shortys are the only ones that will fit. but... you can fit some custom made long tubes, if you can find a company make them.
JBA%20Shorty%20Headers.jpg
BBC6CorvetteLongTubeHeaders%5B2%5D.png

shortys are the first ones. they arent worth the effort to put in though. your better off sticking with the stock manifolds. but... if they are cracked then i would put these in. long tubes are the 2nd ones. they are the ones you want. they up the hp and trq.

(these are pics off google so i dont even know what they are for)

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
R

rewarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. I understand the visual difference between a shorty and a long tube header. The shorty is more compact but the long tube has the name for obvious reasons. Does the Summit racing website have the wrong picture for the headers they are selling? Because they look like long tube to me. Also, others are claiming that the shorty's have little performance gains. How can the manufacturers claim HP gains and performance if there aren't any?

Last thing, the "throtle body spacer" seems like a gimmick. I can't understand how a 3/4" spacer could possibly increase HP and performance. It seems odd.

Hunter

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The pic is wrong ,you can see the pic on Hedman site. I have shorty gibson headers on mine, they seem to make alittle difference. They're just a PIA to put on plus the $$ for them it doesn't make for the best investment. The spacer is a waste of money most people say.

OP
OP
R

rewarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The pic is wrong ,you can see the pic on Hedman site. I have shorty gibson headers on mine, they seem to make alittle difference. They're just a PIA to put on plus the $$ for them it doesn't make for the best investment. The spacer is a waste of money most people say.

That all seems to make sense to me. However, I am going to indulge myself and waste money on the Edge CTS with the back-up camera. Waste of money = YES but I do like the fact that it can read codes, the back-up camera seems like a nice feature plus I intend to put it on economy setting to try to squeeze a Mile Per Gallon out of it. I just have to drive it about 600 miles to pay for itself. I can do that in a few weeks. Then I have a 1 MPG increase for the life of my truck plus ODB codes, Back-up camera, and at times some power increases if I need it. However I will never need the power increase because I'm a slow driver and don't tow anything.