Project 2nd Gen Expy - NOPE, I’m boned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Steel

Reaction score
I picked up this 2nd Gen XLT, 150K miles, starts but doesn't run b/c of bad fuel pump. It hasn't driven more than 12 miles in 2 years. Interior is in great shape, exterior.. don't really care b/c I gotz plans but it has no accidents, just a little rust on the rockers and wheel wells.

Went to drop the tank to change the fuel pump (b/c Ford :rolleyes:) and well, I'll let the pics speak for themselves..

Drivers Rear frame facing forward
IMG_1884.jpg

Passenger rear frame facing forward

IMG_1885.jpg

And... ZOMG! Inside of rear frame, driver side..

IMG_1886.jpg
Lastly.. passenger inside rear frame.
IMG_1888.jpg
Pic of exterior that will be totally repainted something not red and gold(?).

IMG_1882.jpg

So whaddya think? Salvageable or a total loss, destined to be picked clean by eBay vultures?

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
JUST A little RUST :buttkick:

Probably be a great deal as long as you don't drive it. Someone in your family drive a rollback? Keep that # for ICE:rolleyes:

Outside looks real good:cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Al Steel

Reaction score
Yeah, just a little rust... so fixable or sell it for parts?? Going to see if I can get a welder to look at it. Anyone have experience with a repair of this kind of issue?

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Frame is about gone for me. Nothing to weld to. Just my observation. You may find some of the same when parts start coming off.

Plati

Reaction score
lots of parts all over the place fail continuously when it looks FUGLY like that
waste of money to attempt mitigation
plan on unreliable and constant repair
YMMV

how do i know?
IMG_1831.JPG

however, i fix a lot of easy things myself (or disable and forget) and it keeps running so i'm milking it for all she's worth. Engine and tranny and brakes and tires and steering are GREAT!!

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That wouldn't even pass state safety inspections anyway, would it ? I don't know if you can get a shop to weld some plate steel to that. That looks like a job for "backyard welder man" LOL ....

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think I'd touch it if it came to my welding shop...

OP
OP
A

Al Steel

Reaction score
lots of parts all over the place fail continuously when it looks FUGLY like that
waste of money to attempt mitigation.. plan on unreliable and constant repair.. YMMV

however, i fix a lot of easy things myself (or disable and forget) and it keeps running so i'm milking it for all she's worth. Engine and tranny and brakes and tires and steering are GREAT!!

Wow! That's rough. I think you got it a little worse than mine. Fuel pump goes in today so I'll know what shape the drive and power train are in. If they are good I'll have to weigh my options at that point.

That wouldn't even pass state safety inspections anyway, would it ? I don't know if you can get a shop to weld some plate steel to that. That looks like a job for "backyard welder man" LOL ....

No, the quarter sized hole in first pic would be enough to fail a VA State safety inspection.. they don't play around here. I got failed for no DOT stamp on a pair of side marker lights once... seriously. However, I'm not as concerned about failing inspection as I am about it actually being safe to drive. The frame looks and feels WEAK in those spots.. right where the rear suspension connects to it. Don't want to be cruising down the road at 70, hit an uneven bridge seam and BLAM! the whole rear end lets go sending me into a Ford Exploreresque roll.

Once I find out if it runs/shifts good I will go to work on the frame with a hammer and an angle grinder to see just how bad things are. If it's too far gone... well I'm not out much money and can probably recoup on the parts. Maybe I can find a donor vehicle that has a good frame but blown engine, etc. I have been calling around but nobody will do rusty frame repairs anymore. A sign of our overly litigious / lack of skilled trades society. I'll have to dust off the old welder if I can't get a shop to do it, then see if I can cut out enough of the cancer and still have enough frame left to weld to. Not sure... doesn't look good from where I'm sitting though.

I don't think I'd touch it if it came to my welding shop...
That's my experience so far. I have only found about 2 shops that will even take my calls on it. The rest won't touch rusty auto frames either. I'm sure a quote to have that mess fixed by anyone that would want to guarantee their work wouldn't go near it. BUUUT... I'm not looking for that.. I just need it to be good enough to pass inspection AND be relatively safe to drive on.

Plati

Reaction score
My rear frame looks great compared to yours. No holes at all. Look at where the radiator mounts too. I heard that commonly rusts out. I've never figured out exactly where since it seems buried and I cant see it but this might be where it rusts out. Looks pretty bad on mine. What is this thing? What does this do? Anybody know?
IMG_2065.JPG

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You can probably drive it locally for quite awhile before something lets go, but when it does, it's junk. Or unload it now, get a few bucks if you need something safer and better.

Last edited: