Pulling Car Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am picking up a mustang from Houston, I live in DFW area, so it will be 200+ mile drive.

1) what hitch do you recommend? (I currently have 3000lb max for towing my small utility trailer so I need something beefier)

2) anything else I i need?

Thanks everyone!

Mlarv

Reaction score
What is the weight you are towing? That will let us know how to advice you. Also open or enclosed trailer? The trailer will tell you which ball size you will need.

OP
OP
TheDoug

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am picking up a mustang from Houston, I live in DFW area, so it will be 200+ mile drive.

1) what hitch do you recommend? (I currently have 3000lb max for towing my small utility trailer so I need something beefier)

2) anything else I i need?

Thanks everyone!

It is a 2005 GT Mustang... so about 4000lbs

It will be open trailer

Thanks

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4k plus the weight of the trailer puts you way over the 3k limit. Are you using the factory hitch and just have a 3k ball and stinger? A beefier one is cheap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheDoug

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4k plus the weight of the trailer puts you way over the 3k limit. Are you using the factory which and just have a 3k ball and stinger? A beefier one is cheap.

I was asking what hitch I need and any recommendations... does brand make a difference? Etc I only bought that hitch back when I got the small trailer.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will need to figure your drop. Then go to Amazon or eTrailer to get one. Get one rated for at least 7000-7500 lbs.

I like Curt personally, but Husky and Reese are also good.

Another option is to get one that can be adjusted to vary your height.

Mlarv

Reaction score
I guess I am dense.

Uhaul installs hitch's which is what I would do because I hate laying on my back trying to install them.

If you just need the receiver and ball, then what size ball does the trailer take? Also what size hitch does your EX have.

OP
OP
TheDoug

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will need to figure your drop. Then go to Amazon or eTrailer to get one. Get one rated for at least 7000-7500 lbs.

I like Curt personally, but Husky and Reese are also good.

Another option is to get one that can be adjusted to vary your height.

Thank you, I will check those out and thank you for reminding me about checking the drop!

jak1221

Reaction score
Unless you have the heavy duty towing package you are likely going to be over weight. The standard towing is only 6000 lbs. So be careful most car trailers are 2 5/16 balls on the hitch.

OP
OP
TheDoug

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless you have the heavy duty towing package you are likely going to be over weight. The standard towing is only 6000 lbs. So be careful most car trailers are 2 5/16 balls on the hitch.

Thanks... I have hd towing