Purchasing a used 2017 EL - Rentals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wonder if that means I could add power fold mirrors if I bought a set with the power fold motors in them? I know Ford was trying to save money by going to standardized wire harnesses in these, has anyone tried it? In the 09-14 F150s it requires a relay or you had to run a wire linking the mirrors and to constant power, and then had to hold the control to power fold vs just tapping it like you can on a stock power fold setup. I wonder if the 15+ expeditions are different...

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Power Fold comes only with memory package. Do you have memory seats?

Looking at the wiring diagram, you could probably get away with connecting power fold mirrors to your regular mirror switch (i.e. without memory package). The connector at the mirror appears to be the same, but there are more pins present for power-fold mirrors.

Without a Driver Seat Module (DSM) that comes with the memory package, you would need control circuitry to drive the folding motor. The mirror switch appears to provide only a momentary input to the DSM when fold/unfold is requested. The DSM then drives the folding motor. In other words, the DSM knows whether the mirrors are open or folded and powers the folding motor appropriately. Without a DSM, you would need a way to manually reverse the current flow through the folding motor.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes I have two position memory seat function on the drivers seat that controls seat and tilt/telescope steering wheel position (and probably mirrors but I don't have them set differently between memory 1 and 2 so I haven't noticed them). Sounds like if I could find a set of power fold mirrors I might be in luck for swapping them, maybe with forscan to enable the feature?

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need to do the exact same thing. Hopefully, between the two of us, we can figure it out! I sure hope no programming is needed. I suppose the DSM might have an "enable" line for power fold. Or, it could be that all DSM's with memory package are designed for power fold (it's possible since the memory option without power fold seems to be a new thing for 2015-17 XLTs only). If so, then it could be simply a matter of adding the appropriate wires to the appropriate pins on the connectors.

You'll need a control input run from the mirror switch to the DSM, plus two folding motor wires run between the DSM and each outside mirror.

Brian Burns

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm in the same boat as OP. My wife and I are looking at a 2017 Expedition XLT w/ 46k miles. The car was a rental from Enterprise. We went ahead and bought a CarFax for it and it came back with 0 issues reported. The CF report had the car registered in FL. The dealership let us demo it, so we took it to a local shop to have it checked out. When they put it up on their lift, they found rust underneath. However, it looks to me like it's surface rust. They didn't see any corrosion or anything like that. The shocks also had what looked to be some leaking around it. (SEE PICS) This stuff may not be a big deal, but I'd like to hear other opinions. Thanks!

20180723_173232.jpg

20180723_173228.jpg

20180723_173143.jpg

Screenshot_20180723-230323_Samsung Internet.jpg

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went through this when shopping for mine. I spent some time underneath one truck that was up on a lift while an experienced Ford tech walked me through common corrosion issues. He said they don't put any coatings on the driveline or the steering knuckles. That's why those parts always have surface rust. All trucks will have that. What you need to watch out for is significant rust on the frame and, in particular, the rocker panels as these are notorious for rusting out. Also check the mounting brackets for the fixed running boards.

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased a 2017 Expedition Limited demo with only 6000 miles. I also purchased the extended warranty. No problems here.

edulun

Reaction score
I need to do the exact same thing. Hopefully, between the two of us, we can figure it out! I sure hope no programming is needed. I suppose the DSM might have an "enable" line for power fold. Or, it could be that all DSM's with memory package are designed for power fold (it's possible since the memory option without power fold seems to be a new thing for 2015-17 XLTs only). If so, then it could be simply a matter of adding the appropriate wires to the appropriate pins on the connectors.

You'll need a control input run from the mirror switch to the DSM, plus two folding motor wires run between the DSM and each outside mirror.

Hello star art, just following up, did you ever get around to test the power fold mirror option on your Expy?

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't had a chance to do any customizing yet. Hoping eventually to add power-fold mirrors, heated steering wheel, and 360 (surround view) camera. I do already have a rain sensor installed but I still need to replace a couple more components and run some new wiring to activate rain-sensing wipers on my XLT.