Purchasing a used 2017 EL - Rentals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2016 Expy EL

Reaction score
I bought a 2016 expedition that was a rental and catfaxyshiwed no accidents. The dealer noticed after I bought it the screws inside the rear wheel wells were painted over with the matching body color. The vehicle had been hit before but the rental agency fixed it and never reported it.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Enterprise ‘16 XLT with 41K on it, and it has been great. Couldn’t beat the options for the price; power moonroof, power vent windows, towing pkg. The only thing I had to do was put AT tires on it for the Michigan winter.
Welcome to the forum TC! Enjoy your Expedition.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're worried about a 3rd gen making it to 150k mi???

Total non-issue

Thanks. I had no doubt of it making 150k but at what NON normal wear or maintenance cost? You know problems like the AC failing or the IWE issue going on with new 4x4 F150s.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/iwe-issues-vacuum-front-hub-brand-new-2017-f150-404176/

I just bought the Ford extended warranty as a friend is having multiple issues requiring many trips to the ford dealer for warranty repair on his 2016 F-150 in the neighborhood of 30,000 miles on the odometer.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good to know about the F150 issues, but if I'm not mistaken a 2015+ F150 would be the equivalent of a 2018 Expedition. Don't the 2015-17 Expy models share their architecture with the 2014 F150?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The cost to maintain a 150K car is hit and miss. I'd say if you budget $1000/year for repairs of a big Ford after about 130K miles, you won't be disappointed. Of course, it's all subject to luck and mostly to the quality of repairs done and the quality of parts used. An honest shop using good parts will keep your costs low. I've kept all my big Fords well over 250K miles but have done my own work and used Ford parts. I've never replaced a transmission or engine in any of them.

I wouldn't even consider a well cared for Expedition causing you trouble before 150,000 miles.

So far as the fleet cars go, I've owned many of them. Buying them saves me a bundle and assures me that at least the oil has been changed, something the vast majority of east coast car owners never do.

CrAzYJoe85

Reaction score
I bought a rental from Hertz rent to buy 34k and it only had 16k mi I felt confident as most people renting an expedition arnt not going to beat on it unlike if you bought a sports car

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a 17 EL XLT with the 202a package plus nav this weekend. 33k miles certified pre owned (12k mile bumper to bumper warranty, 7/100k powertrain extension from original purchase date). It has the turn signals in the mirrors like the limited but maybe that's a 17 thing? I pick it up tomorrow and turn in my pickup as trade. I'll miss the F150, it's a hell of a tow rig. Hopefully with the right hitch the expy will do well too.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes there are turn signals in the mirrors (and they are also heated with memory) but you'll find they don't power-fold. That was an upgrade reserved for Limited, King Ranch, and Platinum models.

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Back in my college days I used to work for enterprise as a lot jock on nights. As others have said, rental companies are good about keeping maintenance in check. That said, there ARE some caveats I can share...

1. Because cars change locations so frequently and enterprise is nationwide, they contract out the maintenance work to shops local to each rental office. Enterprise "shops around" and typically provides the contract to the cheapest (but legit) garage in town. So that said, the maintenance is never performed at a dealership. While this is positive in that it supports local small businesses, it does mean that any maintenance done wasn't done at the dealer. (Excluding warranty work, vehicles are always brought to dealers for that)

2. Major things like transmissions and AC are checked before a rental is deemed ok to sell. If anything goes wrong with big components after a sale, the rental companies are usually good about covering those expenses. It's the small things you have to specifically look for and point out before you buy, as most rental companies won't cover things like broken buttons, dead backlighting, minor electronics issues etc. I noticed it was usually small things in the back of a car (away from the driver) that people didn't catch. Like broken buttons or led lights in the second and third row audio/AC controls, speaker rattles on rear speakers, dead rear surround speakers, missing plastic covers on rear seatbelt anchor points or seat bolts, missing fins on rear AC vents, missing floor mats, missing jacks and/or factory tools..etc.

3. Preventative maintenance is great and a rental car company isn't going to sell you a broken car. They WILL however sell you a prematurely worn or misused car. This isn't malicious and it's almost impossible to detect, but it's the nature of the rental car industry. Here's a few examples..

--I've seen customers use 4WD inappropriately on rental trucks (i.e. using 4HI on dry paved roads). While this won't cause any immediate problems, it can lead to a shortened lifespan of the transfer case over time.

--Customers and employees routinely do things like leave windows and doors open in the rain (for longer than a typical owner would) or leave the car running for long times. Again, these things won't show any immediate damage, but could ultimately lead to issues own the road.

--Most customers put in the cheapest gas around in a rental. (Which means alot of no-name fuel)

--Customers will also tow or pack a rental beyond the recommended limits. (Most of the time, they don't even know these limits are a thing)

Can all these things happen with any leased or pre-owned car? Of course. But statistically, the odds are higher when it comes to rental cars. And because rental cars go through so many drivers, usually a rental is exposed to a wide array of not-so-nice behavior...vs. one or two previous owners with specific bad habits.

Just my two cents and food for thought.

Last edited: