R.I.P. my good ol’ Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ozzy

Reaction score
So, this happened today. Evidently something came loose in the timing cover and exited the bank 2 side. Probably a lot more $ and effort to fix for me than it’s worth. e8eef694013678fdf790f64211659ffb.jpg
5cbbfc8fbec193d568b8caa3c37f761e.jpg

Oz

‘05 Expedition EB, 5.4 3v

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yikes, sucks to see that happen. Any clue as to what it was? Nothing looks obvious to me but I'm also not well versed on the 3v. It looks to be a pretty serious event though, nice chunk of metal missing there.

Likely right on the more $ and effort unless the rest of it is in good shape still. If so a motor may still be considerably less than a replacement vehicle in current times.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's just a flesh wound ! That's the valve cover there with the hole in it. How many miles on the motor? Have the timing chains & guides ever been replaced ? Have you been hearing startup rattle for a while ?
Could be just a chunk of the chain guide that went north instead of south. A new valve cover is about $130 at Tasca. Maybe a timing chain job is all it needs. If the Expy is in otherwise good shape it may be worth spending some money to repair it. All is not lost ! LOL

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-valve-cover-driver-s-side-lh-9l1z6582c?c=Zz1lbmdpbmUmcz1lbmdpbmUmbD0xOCZuPVNlYXJjaCBSZXN1bHRzJmE9Zm9yZCZvPWV4cGVkaXRpb24meT0yMDA1JnQ9ZWRkaWUtYmF1ZXImZT01LTRsLXY4LWdhcw==

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chain slapped the cover, happens all the time on the old F-150s. Engine is likely fine check that it’s still in time didn’t bend anything and do timing job. If not put it up for sale, there is a 90 percent chance that engine will live to see another day.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I thought it’s the front timing cover, I’ll have to have a look again in the light without it pouring rain on me. But then the wonder... “WTF came through that hole???” It’s gonna sit a while regardless, and while it’s not in bad shape overall with 267,000 on it-plus lots of the usual 2nd gen issues conquered- it’ll have to be a project now. I do love this truck.

Oz

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Just for the record, The known things that preceded the issue, and the after:

I replaced a faulty VCT solenoid a few weeks ago. Those were both replaced about a year and a half ago, bank 2 went bad a while back and caused occasional timing error codes, and had a pretty decent oil leak. Since fixed no codes thrown.

Wife was driving it to doctor when it broke. She had called and said “Truck is smoking I think from the engine. But, no CEL and gauges are normal, so it’s ok right?” Told her get that thing home STAT! Died as she turned around.

Codes I get as of this evening: 0345, 0021, 300, 305, 306, 307, 308.

So, it has a timing issue now of some kind, and it’s on bank 2, as is the misfires.

That’s what I know. I’ll be adding to the story soon I’m sure.

Oz

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Allegedly, the phasers were replaced / timing job done right before I purchased it from a small town lot here in IL. Of course I find out after the fact they were known for tossing in used parts if they could, rather than new China parts even. So, it was half assed at best I’m sure.

Oz

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Following up a bit. I haven’t done any work yet, but I’ve decided to tear into the front end and see what happened. Hoping it’s some of the above suggestions. I do know the motor still turns with no noise (I didn’t try it long, just enough to assure myself I wasn’t working in vain.

Dude note: I used to use Tapatalk app to access the forum, but after its most recent update, I seem to have lost that ability. So, I didn’t ghost on y’all. Just can’t get notifications anymore.

Wish me luck!

edit: If anyone knows an app that works in this forum, lemme know!