radio relocation 1st gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok guys heres my relocation to make way for my upcoming 19 inch touch screen going in the dash. now that this is out of my way i still have to find a place for the a/c controls and to deside if the vents get capped off or relocated.
here is the 19 inch project
http://www.expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?p=115595#post115595

first and i know i dont have pics of the teardown or the harness i built but hers the dash end
39D0E33D-orig.jpg
run down beside stock amp thats needs bypassed now
CC23A09D-orig.jpg

heres a fun one up into the center
FE9956FD-orig.jpg

and finally in to the console
DF517569-orig.jpg

modified the old dash intall kit for reuse will probably do fiberglass when i get around to all the other glass work ill be doin
B9F95EBF-orig.jpg

finally the radio goes in
C83BC76C-orig.jpg
thats it for now check back for the fiberglass suround if i deside to do it
also note i have to pick up a antenna extender for fm if i want later as well.
hope this helps some one out there seeing as when i desided to do it i couldnt find any info out there :p

Last edited:

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:popcorn:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yea i thought some one out there would like it now if only i can find the how to bypass the d**n stock amp and for my first post i figured i would bring something to the table that i havent seen here yet. :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
update

ok guys today i got the facotry amp out and did some probing of my own with my trusty fluke the whole time i was thinking to my self is all this really woth it....

first get the amp out

C5266A96-orig.jpg

then pull up data sheet for the amp chips

E0F6623F-orig.jpg

http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/25159/STMICROELECTRONICS/TDA7391/3247/2/TDA7391.html

then trace down pins 5 and 7 for all four of these chips here are my notes sorry didnt have a pen and papper

8038D32D-orig.jpg

this is the plug for the speaker side the smaller plug on the amp is radio side and can be traced back to the radio

29B59213-orig.jpg

on bottom row left to right its ( right rear - right rear + right front - right front + left rear - left rear + left front - left front +)

finished harness with heat shrink i also added sone electrical tape later to keep it all together

8FE63EF6-orig.jpg

and now if you were like me and asking it was worth all the trouble yes i only had highs in my door speakers before and now im getting the full range to my kickers like i should be. so all in all if you want to save a few bucks like me to keep my wife from yelling at me then here it is with out the bypass harness. now its time to get to my other project. i will post a link in first post when i start the post but i will not go near as fast as this one because its all cosmetic work but heres a teaser i just got to start fiberglassing so if any of you guys are in the north Georgia area / dalton ga area and know about fiberglass let me know i could use the help here i dont want to f*** things up.

0442F642-orig.jpg

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its almost impossible to mess up fiberglass. If you mess something up you just sand it down or add more glass and resin.

You could also try fleece or speaker grill cloth. Tends to be a little easier because all you have to have is a skeleton of the shape you want.

OP
OP
W

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its almost impossible to mess up fiberglass. If you mess something up you just sand it down or add more glass and resin.

You could also try fleece or speaker grill cloth. Tends to be a little easier because all you have to have is a skeleton of the shape you want.

im not to worried about messing up the fiberglass im worried about messing up a $$$ 19 inch touch display i need to find a good way to make the skeleton and if its better to mount the lcd to the dash from the back and make the fiberglass a shell that just slides over or mount the lcd to the fiberglass and slide it all in as one untit. im going for "stock" look lol probably not. that and ive done fiberglass before so i like to take caution when in unknown waters

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would probably be easier to mount it to the dash and make a shell around it. Would be easier to hook it up and put a cover over it than mount it to a shell and have to fumble around with it while trying to hook it up.