Ran into a Deer. . .dang!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I hit a deer at about 35mph. It bounced off my chrome/steel bumper, with no damage. To keep prices down, Insurance companies will recommend used parts, if available. Deer related accidents are covered under 'comprehensive coverage'. I found out, it only cost $12 more, to lower the deductible to $100. I would of drove it home, with that minor damage.

OP
OP
M

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's the deal, buddy, there is not a woman in the entire industrialized world who would turn a car-deer accident into attention getting dribble forum posts. The woman would call her insurance company and her lawyer and get on with her life.

Cool story bro.

I hit a deer at about 35mph. It bounced off my chrome/steel bumper, with no damage. To keep prices down, Insurance companies will recommend used parts, if available. Deer related accidents are covered under 'comprehensive coverage'. I found out, it only cost $12 more, to lower the deductible to $100. I would of drove it home, with that minor damage.

I think i will use this as an excuse to get a brush guard or something. I plan on using this as my hunting rig so it will be in deer / elk area

mrbadwrench

Reaction score
I have a police cow catcher on mine and a deer managed to miss it when it jumped out of nowhere at me. Wal Mart sells red duct tape that is the perfect color so I covered up the cracks in the bumper until the weather got warmer, then replaced the tape with bondo and paint. The paint isn't the perfect color, but it's close enough.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll bet watching the Mad Max movies again can give you some great, effective ideas!

Ignore those Common Core educated who don't "get it", it's okay, we understand.

I am just waiting to see the pic of the brand new-looking truck again!

jeff

kyleaaronburkett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone have some good recommendations on brush guards? I'd like to add one as well, it should look a little more stout

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so you didn't have comprehensive insurance in this day and age, seriously ???

What does this day and age have to do with it?
My wife and I have been driving all our autos for the last 20+ years with liability only.
I think it depends a lot on driving/accident history etc and regional area you live.

I will say certain companies have come way down on old car comp and collision.
So it's almost a no brainer to add it on...this is what they want too.
You must remember they will not fix your old car. EVER!
You could have a person kick it in the door with a boot and it would be so much to fix at bodsy shops they would total it.
BUT, you still get at least the total price which for most of the old ones I have is under 1500 according to them...regardless of condition.
THEY don't care.
So if you don't add the coverage and get into a wreck at fault, you get nothing. Add it on and you get 900-1500 and you can haggle and get a couple hundred more.

So it depends on ow many years you have and pay the increase premiums on the car vs when /if you wreck it whether or not you get by cheaper one way or the other.

Ir I can sell a wrecked one for 600-800 or scrap it for 350-400 and put 2000 with it and go replace it....then I would be ahead vs paying 500 more a year in premiums if I had it over 4 years.
I chose 500 because most people would say it is well worth 500 per car per year for peace on mind. I have 0 peace on mind so it don't matter.
Actually I have gotten premiums for add on comp/collision for much less that this.

You just have to be aware and realistic that if you add it to a 2005 even pristine low mile one and even minorly wreck it....They are not going to fix it back like they would a new one.
You will get a total offer, or you may be able to get a fix it yourself check.

OP
OP
M

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it back from the body shop and it looks better than ever! They did a stellar job with the repair and tossed in a few freebies because who knows why.

Glad to have it back though!

20190813_121257.jpg

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks great. Gotta love nice new clear headlights lol. I have a new one and an old one on mine, looks kinda off balance. If I cared a little more I'd pop a new one on but eh...