Rear Coil Spacer Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've heard people say you can mount the spacer on top or bottom of the spring.

That being the case, has anyone installed two spacers on one spring? Meaning one on the top and one on the bottom?

Reason I ask is Daystar 1" spacers are less than half the price of the 2" spacers.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but let me know your thoughts, guys. Thanks!

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Remo, I would be a little leary of putting a spacer on the bottom if it is made from a hard plastic. My justification for this is the fact that plastic is much more slippery than metal. Wtih that being said, the ability to have a spacer slip would be more. I know I fight my coils with no spacers with my lifted truck. If I go out 4x4ing and push the truck to its limits and max out the suspension, I unload my rear coils and they will shift slightly, resulting in a squeak. Putting them back into place is easy enough. But, I know that I reach a point where the spring is just kinda floating in place.

Not that I have heard anyone having issues, I just take a critical look at all things that I install on trucks and try to find the best way to mount things and reasons why I may not want to do it a certain way. Besides, I think having the spacer on the top of the spring would visually be better since people will think you spent the money on a lift vice just adding in spacers.

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Thermo. Other than aesthetics, is top or bottom mounting better? Which do you think is safer? Which is easier to install?

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Remo, installing on the bottom is easier, but like I said, do you want something that is slippery on the bottom of the spring when you are relying on it to support the weight of the vehicle? If I have a choice, I will go with top mount every time. To install the spacers, remove the bottom bolt from your rear shocks. Lift the rear of the truck up by the frame to get the springs unloaded by about 1" more than the size of the spacer. Pull the springs out, add the spacer to the top, slide the springs back in, lower the truck down on to the springs. Install the new longer shocks to account for the spacer. Running the factory shocks can result in damage to the shocks as they are what limit the travel of the rear suspension. If you have too short of springs, they are going to bottom out a lot and can lead to complete failure of the shocks.

fiveohpoepoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the 4 1st gen. I have lifted, I always put the spacers[rubber] on the bottom. Although I do not do any hard wheeling, I never had any problems. Go by what Thermo says, he has been there and done that.

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anybody have a decent write up or pics of an installation for the spacers? I'm just about to order them and want to put them in myself.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What style are they? I had some in my wife care...adjustable...other than that you'll need to open the springs to get the spacers in

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why are you strying to add lift? do you have the rims on that are in your signature pic?

ydopen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take the lower shock bolts out, jack up the rear, put the spacer on the spring, let the jack down and make sure the springs line up in the spring pocket, reinstall lower shock bolts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1