Rear seat entertainment ok or a bust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Throw a capacitor on the positive lead between the battery and monitor... It's basically a quick charge/discharge battery to cover the gaps. They are popular on big number car stereos.

My understanding is that’s what they did. It’s not one of the big capacitors that looks like a coke can, but they did run a capacitor in line from the battery to the TVs. The shop is not new at this, they’re one of the best rated shops in the Dallas-Ft Worth metroplex and I work with several guys that have had work done there. So there is something abnormal or head-scratching going on here, otherwise they would have figured it out. Plus, they’re not charging me for all the extra labor so it’s money out of their pocket to be stumped. By which I mean: it’s in their interest to get this figured out, ha!

My assumption is that one of the big capacitors is what’s needed, but honestly, at this point, a small, unobtrusive dongle for the OBD port that disables the ASS is preferable to another 3 hours waiting for my car.

OP
OP
C

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally back ... sorry! We are enjoying these monitors in our Navigator. I won't waste time going over what has already been discussed.

I can say a few things I'm not fond of ...

1) Note that these have DVD players, not Blu Ray players. So if you have Blu Rays you won't be able to play them.

2) On the Navigator they protrude out from the seat quite a bit (just like the OEM ones). It's not bad, but just wanted to note it. They also maybe sit a little bit lower than I'd like for kids in convertible seats. Of course this depends on the height of the seats in the front row at any given time.

Whomever wired ours in connected them so that anytime the auto start/stop engages the power is cut to the monitors. I will have this fixed next time I go in, but for now I have to make sure and disable stop/start if we're going to be watching them.

The ability to download all the apps is great. I watched a bunch of Big Ten basketball on the way home on a road trip one time this spring. And like mentioned, the app that mirrors the rear screens on your phone is a great option for those with little ones. If our kids were older we'd probably just have bought a couple of iPads, so if you can deal with the price this is a nice option over factory.

Good info. Any pics? Would love to see how far out they sit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Those integrate very nicely. Much cleaner looking than in the Expy.

We drove from Dallas to Estes Park, CO this past week and LOVED these things. Gave the boys headphones and set my 6yo loose to control Disney+ for he and his 3yo brother. The only time we heard from them was pee breaks. A couple times they wanted to watch a disk instead and we were able to run it all from my wife’s phone in the front passenger seat. We also did the FM modulator a few times so we could all listen (who doesn’t love to listen to Finding Dory!?) and it worked like a champ.

This is the best $1600 I’ve spent in a long time.

(We did give up trying to make it play nice with the ASS. I bought an Auto Stop Eliminator and haven’t looked back. I’ll miss the $3 I’ll save in gas every year, and the warm fuzzy feeling of helping to save the planet, but thems the breaks.)

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How does the factory do it? I can’t imagine those cut off with ass. Somebody posted a diagram showing a module that runs off a white wire with blue tracer.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How does the factory do it? I can’t imagine those cut off with ass. Somebody posted a diagram showing a module that runs off a white wire with blue tracer.

I would love to know. They tried everything they could think of at the install shop. My guess is that the factory system is less sensitive to the voltage drop.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In process of installing, using the factory hardware

These are the 12.5 inch off ebay android 9.0. For 500.00 they are very sweet.

I feel like lincoln screwed us on the RES. The factory system is freeken garbage. I posted how much a ************* they are showing pictures on blueoval forum. And the section is gone. I think there tring to hide the fact how shity the factory RES is for $2500.00

My butt hurts

20200710_173819.jpg

20200710_173811.jpg

Last edited:

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In process of installing, using the factory hardware

These are the 12.5 inch off ebay android 9.0. For 500.00 they are very sweet.

I feel like lincoln screwed us on the RES. The factory system is freeken garbage. I posted how much a ************* they are showing pictures on blueoval forum. And the section is gone. I think there tring to hide the fact how shity the factory RES is for $2500.00

My butt hurts

View attachment 36925

View attachment 36926
Well, they are a little sensitive over there on the blue oval forums.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just opened up the passenger side monitor, is even shittier than the driver side monitor. There is not even a processor. Worth about 30.00 dollars
Compete piece of crap.

20200725_124421.jpg

20200725_124425.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PalosX