Reliability and user satisfaction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks for the reply dlcorbett! Which year and trim level has this option?

Platinums and king ranch has ccd std. you have to get 301 w/ special edition, 302 or 303 pkgs on ltd to get ccd. Depending on preference, you may wanna try both. From my experience, ccd is more isolating but can get floaty and bouncy. I myself wish i got it because i like soft n cushy but the std is comfy 80% of the time. Btw i saw u asked someone else, my mpg avg is about 18mpg, but hwy avg is 23mpg. Mines is 2wd no tow.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had numerous Ford Expeditions over the years and have loved them all from my 1998 Expedition Eddie Bauer to my 2018 Expedition Platinum Max. Every one of them has had a few quirks that needed to be ironed out, but in the end, they all ended up being GREAT vehicles. I did take a hideous and tried the Mercedes GL550 for several years, but ended right back in the Expedition. Hope that tells you something about my love for this full sized suv.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've just got my first Expedition, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night!
seriously, I did a ton of research. the Expy is a great vehicle but someone here had a great point - you know nothing about the reliability of a new model until it's been out for a few years. The Expy has a good reputation because the 1st and 2nd gen were terrific, however.... avoid the 3V engine through 2008. it has a 2 piece spark plug Ford stuck with for 5 years, absolutely refusing to make good when it broke in the head requiring thousands of dollars in repairs.
Anyway, overall, from the first generation beginning in 1997 through today, the Expy recently made somebody's list of the 8 most reliable vehicles in the world.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the Expy recently made somebody's list of the 8 most reliable vehicles in the world.
If I had to guess I would say this was partly achieved to the fact that a lot of these vehicles are used as fleet vehicles... probably a couple 10’s of thousands. They all likely hit high mileage and stayed in service for several years, this is a good metric to measure the durability of a vehicle. I agree, it’s a little early to judge the 4th gens on long term ownership, but you can look at the F150’s that run the same basic underbody set up and see how they have done. It’s a safe bet to say that the 4th gens aren’t going to drop the reputation of the model.

Old Guy

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Expy XLT 5.3 4X4. I use(d) it to drive to work, grocery and other shopping and to tow 8000# of boat behind it. Brought it on super Sunday, 2006 with 30K miles, and now has 115K on it.
Satisfaction? Its not for sale. I am 72 and don't want a new one.

Reliability: drove it from Orlando area to upstate NY and to Missouri to visit relatives a few time. It has never been towed. I changed the plugs and some COP coils at 90K and the air conditioner compressor wore out at about 95K.(Here in central Florida ALL cars need a new compressor about then.) Other than that, normal wear outs like battery and tires.

I change oil (mobil 1) at 5-6K miles, change automatic tranny fluid and filter; and axle lubes every 25K. This is because of trailer towing.

When I bought the expy, we bought a 200 Honda civic for the wife. Its maintenance and repairs cost more than the expy. Really!

Fred Moore

Reaction score
My Expedition is a 2017. I have 75K miles on it, some pulling a 33' travel trailer. Absolutely no performance issues. The only time it was in the shop was for body work when some idiot truck sideswiped me in traffic and took off the mirror.

I chose the Expedition because of 2 things:

1) Highest towing capacity in its class.
2) Having owned 3 Explorers in the past. Oldest Explorer was totaled by my daughter. No injury. Next oldest Explorer was totaled when some stupid kid that hit me while we were doing 70mph and we spun around and hit the concrete Jersey barrier. No injuries. My last Explorer was a 2004 NBX model that went 225,000 miles with no issues and was accepted in on the trade for the Expedition.

Take care of them and they will take care of you.

Olivy

Reaction score
Wife and I bought a 2015 Navigator new and have 10,000 miles on it with zero issues. My Father has owned two 2nd gen Expeditions with zero issues.

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought my 2009 Eddie Bauer with ~ 22,000 miles on it and drove until I traded it in at 170,000 miles. Was a great vehicle no major issues until the end, two cracked exhaust manifolds and needed timing chain/sprocket replacement ... to much cost for the value of the vehicle. I towed a 7,000# pound camper for quite a few of those miles also....

larryjb

Reaction score
This has been an interesting thread to read through. I currently drive a 2002 Tahoe, and plan to keep it until it dies. I like the simple dash and the simple drive train. The last couple of Explorer generations have horrible confusing dashboards. A few years ago when I got the Tahoe, it was a toss-up between that and a 2nd generation Expedition. The only reason the Tahoe won over the Expedition was that the Expeditions were so beaten up around here.

Now for the future, the Tahoe won't last forever. Something will happen and it will cost more that it's worth to keep. I have noticed that the Expedition has less reliance on the touch screen for basic functions than the Explorer, and more physical buttons, which I like. I'd have to actually test drive one to find out, of course. As for Ford engines, I had a 4.6L Grand Marquis with the OHC, so it had long chains too, but no phasers and fewer valves. That engine was still running well and the only significant engine work I ever did on it was to replace the valve stem seals. But the direct injection and boost really concerned me until I found out that Ford started putting in dual injectors. Is there any evidence so far that the intake valves are staying cleaner with this set up? This is the only really issue I have with Ecoboost, and the other members claiming that the previous Expeditions were much more reliable.

Raptors

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Expedition limited with 19,000 miles and no issues so far. I get a little worried sometimes reading the forums. I also have a 2017 Raptor with 10,000 miles and no issues so far except a few recalls. Those Raptor forums have some scary doom and gloom! I might actually get the extended warranty for it.

These are my first two Fords. The Expedition did well in crash tests and I insist on having big vehicles so reliable or not going to drive it a few more years. Unless my Navigator envy gets the best of me and I trade it in early.