Rented Max Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
Travelling so I opted to try a rental with 628 miles on it. Nice vehicle but ... A couple observations.

Ok maybe I'm old and lazy but this thing is way too complicated. I just want to drive it not have to study the owners manual for every little feature, which they don't have in the vehicle anyway.

Engine does have impressive power vs the 5.4 I'm used to but power isn't uniform it seems. It can dog or lag or be responsive.

Engine shuts off and starts really fast at a stop but it also starts for no reason while sitting there. Can't be working right.

Some kind of computer controlled steering or brake malfunction while driving. Rapid pulses can feel in steering wheel. Probably take it back it ain't right.

Navigation ok but I haven't been able to turn volume up. Can it be that hard to use? As usual takes me on weird routing and useless when I arrive not getting me into parking lot.

Folding mirrors and running boards are laughable to me. Never had or needed that seems like gimmick to generate repair future service revenue.

Adaptive headlights interesting but kind of annoying always changing brightness.

Looking at dash display ... Like a 747 cockpit. Too much. For me anyway.

Seems like a lot of little lights on inside at night. Needed?

Key fob huge. Plus rental agency wired 2 together. Dont want in my pocket so have to remember to take with me in my briefcase when I leave ... Too much work to keep track of

I wouldn't trade my 2014 for this.

Last edited:

Rick Anjel

Reaction score
Some people like new tech and others dont. Everything you mentioned on features you didnt like are basically now standard on all new generation SUV's. The majority are for safety & I for one like them all.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You’re just old.

no, I’m kidding, some of your complaints have been addressed in here in the past. The large key fob is a little more rotund than I’d prefer. The throttle response you mentioned is use to turbo lag and is something that you can mitigate after learning the behaviors of your turbo, or you can alleviate it with a tune. I had to study my owners manual and there was a learning curve coming from a 15 year old vehicle to this one but after a few days that process was over. The engine shutting off is the most ridiculous feature in cars these days and I disable that feature as have many in this forum. So no, your not ‘just old’. Or maybe you are, I don’t know, but your complaints aren’t to the level of ‘whiny’ and some are shared by many. There are solutions to them as well. For the record, I really appreciate the folding mirrors and running boards, dash, and interior lighting but I could just be some annoying youngster... though at 43 I doubt it.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Being on the back side of 60, all I can say is; it's the wife's truck, she's happy, I'm happy. Artie said the rest.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All of your complaints are feature related. Not only that, every feature you noted can be turned off. Its a rental so obviously youre not gonna invest the time to learn it, but the truck can be used just like your 14, but more comfy. I will say this, unless you rent a sequoia or tahoe, you wont be able to rent another car now without all the things you complained about.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The vehicle probably restarts as you ease up on the brake pedal even though you're still stopped. Depending on how hard you're pressing on the pedal, the engine may not even shut off when you stop, and/or may restart before you expect it would. Experience will show you...or you can just shut off the ASS like we do.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I first drove a vehicle with all those features, I kinda felt the same, until I knew what they were and what was going on. Now I like them. Yes, there’s a lot of gizmos in the new vehicles, but most can be adjusted or turned off. Personally, what I thought I’d turn off, I actually have kept on.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel the same, too much BS on these new vehicles. Bring back my ignition key and leaded gasoline! lol.
Actually I buy the premium option package for a few features and then I get stuck with all the extra BS that I'll never use and complicates everything. I'm happy to say that Ford did better with this unit as I can shut most of that crap off and forget about it.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Engine does have impressive power vs the 5.4 I'm used to but power isn't uniform it seems. It can dog or lag or be responsive.
- You get used to it. I came from a 5.0 Coyote and it's just a different engine so it takes some adjustment.

Engine shuts off and starts really fast at a stop but it also starts for no reason while sitting there. Can't be working right.
- The engine will restart for any number of reasons. If you scroll in the gauge cluster to the A/S/S screen, it will tell you why it's coming back on (outside temp, recharging, climate control, etc.)

Some kind of computer controlled steering or brake malfunction while driving. Rapid pulses can feel in steering wheel. Probably take it back it ain't right.
- That might be the lane keep assist. If you are straying out of your lane, it will rumble the steering wheel. There is a button on the center stack that looks like a car leaving its lane...press it to shut that system off.

Navigation ok but I haven't been able to turn volume up. Can it be that hard to use? As usual takes me on weird routing and useless when I arrive not getting me into parking lot.
- when the voice guidance is talking, turn the volume knob and that will increase the voice volume. As for the accuracy of the routing, that's what you get when you use native nav...plug in your phone and use google maps, waze, apple maps, etc.

Folding mirrors and running boards are laughable to me. Never had or needed that seems like gimmick to generate repair future service revenue.
- Personal preference.

Adaptive headlights interesting but kind of annoying always changing brightness.
- You can shut the auto-brights off. I, for one, love it and will never buy a vehicle without it again.

Looking at dash display ... Like a 747 cockpit. Too much. For me anyway.
- Personal preference

Seems like a lot of little lights on inside at night. Needed?
- Personal preference. Although you can turn them all off. Go in the center sack screen to the ambient lighting menu. One whatever color is active, grab the slider and slide it all the way down...that will essentially turn off the interior lighting.

Key fob huge. Plus rental agency wired 2 together. Dont want in my pocket so have to remember to take with me in my briefcase when I leave ... Too much work to keep track of
- I agree it's too big. But if you own it, you can use FordPass on your phone or the keypad on the B pillar and just leave the fob in the car.

Last edited:

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The engine will restart if you are stopped if it senses the battery voltage dropping, temp inside the cab get hotter or cooler than it is set at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1