Rooftop 2-way radio antennas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I needed a magnetic surface for my cell booster antenna. Found a galvanized black powder coated angle bracket from Lowe’s along with stainless screws, stainless washers, and rubber washers.
Looks perfect. Did you drill a hole on the roof rail?

OP
OP
Left Coast Geek

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before I buggered the roof of my Expedition with a FRS antenna I'd try the radios as-is. All these radios are line of sight so don't expect any range out of them. The little Midlands you get at Walmart will work fine for a couple of miles.

For perhaps a little more range try this radio with a long whip.

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-F8HP-Two-Way-136-174Mhz-400-520Mhz/dp/B00MAULSOK

-- Chuck

The Midland MTX-115 has way more power (15 watt) than any handheld, and doesn't have a built in antenna, it just has a PL-259 jack. Those baefangs, or any 'programmable' UHF radios are actually illegal to use for GMRS/FRS .... I have a pair of Motorola Talkabouts for handheld use, the Midland is for truck use where we are in an RV caravan of a dozen or so RVs spread out over a couple miles.

but yes, its magnetic antenna sticks to the roof rails, I didn't even think of that, so I'm gold.

Last edited: