Scared as hell right now!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But if someone out there has a diagram, or has a picture of where I shouild be looking, I'd be forever grateful!!!!! :hail:

Sumtimez me no good with words.... Me need drawing or picture.....lol.

The sensor's exact location is at the neck of the oil filter neck. It has a plastic plug going into it. You unplug the pigtail, and it is like a 3/4" wrench needed to unscrew the oil sending unit out of the neck of the oil filter. Here is a few pics of it as best as I could since it is dark thirty here.

It is accessible by crawling under the frontend and squeezing under the front pumpkin and looking from the back of the diff and driveshaft and look up and you will see the sender unit and wire pigtail, and you can reach up there to unplug it and use a wrench to unscrew it.

Here it is from the view up and over from behind the front diff.
hfdhfg.jpg

Here is a pic from in front of the engine
gdfg.jpg

Let me know if I can be of help Bud.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lane24

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
You da man SkyJumper!!!!!! Iwas looking for something waaaaaaay different. I thought it was a silvery bell looking thingy. thanks so much. This is what came up when I googled it. lol
attachment.jpg

I just read that having the oil filter up behind the bumper instead of where it is in the pics means I have the remote oil filter option. Must be for easier access, but the sensor should be in the same place as your pic. Once again , thanks for your help.

Last edited:

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That looks more like a vacuum canister. But the male end of that being beveled and threaded looks as if it screws into the block or piping of some sort.

If you decide to take the sender off, you need to be prepared to have a little patience or alot in some cases and alittle imagination trying to fit a universal wrench or whatever you use to get it off. All you need to do is get it lose and then use your fingers to take it off the rest of the way.

But before you decide to take it off, inspect the pigtail and wire and focus on the length of wire to spot a frayed or cracked or broken wire. If you see nothing wrong with it, then go ahead and inspect the sender once you get it out of there. You can clean the valve end of it with engine cleaner. That sometimes helps, but with it only costing a few bucks, I would just replace it, since you took the time to take it out.

Here is one I found at my local store.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Oil-Pressure-Switch/1999-Ford-Expedition-4WD/_/N-jdjynZ8znc6?itemIdentifier=715951_0_8537_

4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lane24

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Holy crap... how do you get your hands up in there . My knuckles are bleeding trying to get to the connector. Oh well, gonna give up for now, and have some dinner. Give it a try in a bit. Is there a trick to these electrical connectors? I assume it is a squeeze and pull connector once I can get my meaty paws up in there. aaaarrgh. I got ***** on the part. It was $23 in my little town where all we have is a NAPA. I hate NAPA. Everything is at least twice the price it is in the city.

Last edited:

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The easiest way I know of is to go inbetween the driver side tire and fenderwell and reach in through the mud guard. You will have a straight in shot to the sender and also getting a wrench in there to loosen up the sender and take it out. You can plainly see the sender from in the fender well on driver side.

OP
OP
Lane24

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaaah....... I'll give it a shot. I have Gap guards from my body lift in there, but they should be pretty flexible today. It is above freezing today. Once again SkyJumper I appreciate your help!!!!

OP
OP
Lane24

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
There we go.... Oil pressure and temp guages back to working again. No shuddering, thank the maker!!!!! Thanks all !!!! Skyjumper I owe you lots!!!!

OP
OP
Lane24

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
To be honest, I think it was the wiring harness or the fact that we got above freezing today. Truck was dead this morning from sitting in the minus 40* weather all week. Boosted it, and the light was on. Shut it off immediately because oil warning lights scare me more than clowns and spiders do . I was hoping that the slightly warmer weather would help a little. Got pissed off and went and bought the sensor, got under there, messed around with the harness trying to get it off... which is freaking impossible!!!! ... Gave up.... booosted the battery again because I didn't let it run long enough after I jumped it this morning because the oil light scared me again and I wanted to turn the wheels a bit so I could get to the sensor from the wheel well and no battery means no steering...Started the truck up and the light turned off, and the guages shot up to where they should be. Took it for a drive to the liquor store, and back to NAPA. Everything is running perfectly.

I am still going to replace the sensor, but I took the $23 one back to NAPA, and when I get to the city next week for my Dr. appt, I'm gonna pick one up for half the price, and replace it once the snow melts off my driveway, and I have a little more patience.

Last edited:

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good to hear that it was as simple as the wire or pigtail. That is why you should trace the wire first before you buy one as most times then not the wire or bad connection at the pigtail is the culprit.

But in hindsight, it is better to be safe than sorry as you did and let it sit till you could figure it out.

:waytogo: