Solution for frozen locks?

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by JExpedition07, Oct 30, 2018.

1. LokiWolf

LokiWolf Full Access Members

Never had the issue with our 15 or our 17. Had it with VW’s in the past. Cleaning, lubricating, and protecting the assemblies helped/solved them. Again, original message did not mention cold, just not latching, which in general is caused my misalignment.

Still think somebody that is having the issue on a day above 50, clean, degrease, and degrease and see if it takes care of the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Muddy Bean and iimagine like this.
  2. LokiWolf

LokiWolf Full Access Members

Also, they aren’t replacing the latch, they are installing water shields, and replacing linkages if bent, and cables if broken. Again, lending to the theory that a good cleaning, and regressing could help for 2 reasons. To lubricate and make it move smoother, and to prevent water intrusion.

iimagine likes this.
  3. Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean Full Access Members

True, I just have had this issue last winter in really really cold weather even when lubed my door latches would freeze open and wouldn’t latch so you couldn’t close the door. At that time I had 60,000 miles on my truck. I have never ever had this happen to any of the 26 vehicles I’ve owned and driven in the cold of Michigan winters so it was a definite surprise. I ended up spraying it with deicer spray and that solved the issue temporarily. I’ll be wintering in Florida this year so I am not worried about it at the moment :)

4. ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp Full Access Members

I remember the days of frozen locks when I lived in the suburbs. We don't lock our vehicles at home these days though as the house is a good 35 yards from the road. Back in the day though, I used to carry the keychain lock deicer.