Solution for frozen locks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Loki,

The doors not latching in cold weather is actually a thing with these trucks. My 2015 doors will bounce back open when you close them in really cold weather. I’ve had all my doors do this only on the Expedition. I’ve never had it happen on any other vehicle. Huge pain to unthaw them with a mini torch so I can close the doors and drive down the road. They recalled F150’s for it but have yet to do this for the Expedition. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/775137001

Never had the issue with our 15 or our 17. Had it with VW’s in the past. Cleaning, lubricating, and protecting the assemblies helped/solved them. Again, original message did not mention cold, just not latching, which in general is caused my misalignment.

Still think somebody that is having the issue on a day above 50, clean, degrease, and degrease and see if it takes care of the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Loki,

The doors not latching in cold weather is actually a thing with these trucks. My 2015 doors will bounce back open when you close them in really cold weather. I’ve had all my doors do this only on the Expedition. I’ve never had it happen on any other vehicle. Huge pain to unthaw them with a mini torch so I can close the doors and drive down the road. They recalled F150’s for it but have yet to do this for the Expedition. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/775137001

Also, they aren’t replacing the latch, they are installing water shields, and replacing linkages if bent, and cables if broken. Again, lending to the theory that a good cleaning, and regressing could help for 2 reasons. To lubricate and make it move smoother, and to prevent water intrusion.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
True, I just have had this issue last winter in really really cold weather even when lubed my door latches would freeze open and wouldn’t latch so you couldn’t close the door. At that time I had 60,000 miles on my truck. I have never ever had this happen to any of the 26 vehicles I’ve owned and driven in the cold of Michigan winters so it was a definite surprise. I ended up spraying it with deicer spray and that solved the issue temporarily. I’ll be wintering in Florida this year so I am not worried about it at the moment :)

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I remember the days of frozen locks when I lived in the suburbs. We don't lock our vehicles at home these days though as the house is a good 35 yards from the road. Back in the day though, I used to carry the keychain lock deicer.