Spare tire does not match the 4 on my new Expy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10sne1

Reaction score
Just realized my spare, Goodyear Wrangler is not the same as other tires. Hancock are the other four? Is this common or something to bring to the attention of my salesman?
Thanks
New 2020 expedition max xlt.....

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just realized my spare, Goodyear Wrangler is not the same as other tires. Hancock are the other four? Is this common or something to bring to the attention of my salesman?
Thanks
New 2020 expedition max xlt.....

I bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4, with the standard 20-inch road wheels and tires. When I checked the air pressure in the spare tire, I found it was an 18-inch tire and wheel.

I talked to my salesman who speculated the factory installed the wrong spare. After checking, he told me that Ford installs a spare tire and wheel with a diameter that closely matches whatever wheels and tires are installed.

I found it somewhat frustrating that this information was not contained in the vehicle owner’s manual, on the window sticker, and the salesman was unaware of it (the window sticker said, full-size spare). Ford also mounts the spare with the tire pressure valve pointed up, so you must lower the spare tire to check the air pressure and/or add air.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Full sized spare. Correct. It’s not meant as a spare to do 5 tire rotations. If you want that, buy a Jeep Wrangler. It’s a spare to allow you to continue on without damaging your driveline until you can get your regular tire replaced/repaired.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Full sized spare. Correct. It’s not meant as a spare to do 5 tire rotations. If you want that, buy a Jeep Wrangler. It’s a spare to allow you to continue on without damaging your driveline until you can get your regular tire replaced/repaired.

While I agree with you - I believe Ford should disclose this information to a new vehicle purchaser. Even my Ford salesman didn’t know it.

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I agree with you - I believe Ford should disclose this information to a new vehicle purchaser. Even my Ford salesman didn’t know it.

LOL, "...salesman didn't know..." I imagine many of you are like me and thoroughly researched the vehicle before buying. There was not a lot that my salesman knew that I didn't already know.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LOL, "...salesman didn't know..." I imagine many of you are like me and thoroughly researched the vehicle before buying. There was not a lot that my salesman knew that I didn't already know.

agreed. Salesman aren’t actually very knowledgeable about what they are selling.