SPD Downpipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silver-Bullet-Bus

Reaction score
My exhaust guys said we could look at this, but I really didn't want to spend more on this, I've basically paid for 4 different catbacks over the years just trying to fix the sound. Not sure how well it would fit either. https://www.magnaflow.com/pages/xmod-series-universal-performance-mufflers

Supposedly this xMod design was specifically designed for engines like this that produce wild drone.
Thank you—I will keep posting updates.

Hopefully, I can try take-3 this weekend.

Anyone try a Gibson SFT?

Based on what I have learned thus far, I think I would rather spend the money on the F150 straight thru muffler, because it has multiple chambers, & MF flat out told me on the phone that the one you are talking about (X-mod) would be loud.

I would like to find a Ford part number for this one.

Attachments

• 5EBF2B59-B76D-436B-BE54-7F4C8224E16A.jpeg
    5EBF2B59-B76D-436B-BE54-7F4C8224E16A.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 8

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just so you know, I have a decent post on here about the parts I have. mine is actually pretty manageable at this point, and the drone is okay. The sound is pretty good unless i really open it up, then it sounds like a Mclaren mixed with a rice burner. but otherwise it's not bad.

Silver-Bullet-Bus

Reaction score
What do you have?

3.5?

What’s your full exhaust set up?

Sorry, I’m a little new to the forum—it’s the only forum I’ve ever joined.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you have?

3.5?

What’s your full exhaust set up?

Sorry, I’m a little new to the forum—it’s the only forum I’ve ever joined.

Silver-Bullet-Bus

Reaction score
I’ve just blown out my second stock muffler.

They might stand up, if they were actually welded together inside, but unfortunately, they are not.

Garrett’s with adapters, SPD DP running thru stock Tail Pipe (my thought was keeping the rear resonator might help out some to keep the volume down), but not enough yet to matter with the first two muffler attempts.

I’ll let you know the results of muffler testing underway now. (0-2), so far.
DBX terribly loud,
Solo Quantum—a nice muffler, but not for this application, better (quieter) than the DBX, but still way too loud overall & cabin drone through out the rom range.

What are your thoughts on what muffler we should try next?

Bonus: pictures of 2018 Expy. Plat. Muffler. Multiple Hemholtz resonance chambers, which is why it’s so nice & quiet. If only it could take the heat & stay together inside.
The Solo Quantum is a nice muffler, and has mellowed & quieted down significantly after driving in for a week now. Much better in town & traffic & idling much quieter than at initial install. However, haven’t towed with it yet, and it still might be a little noisy for my tired old ears, when standing on the go-pedal all day under tow load. Additionally, it does have a nice benefit of a very lousy hissing sound when you really get into boost. I have a couple/few more muffler options to try out over the fall here, before I get a custom 3” or 3-1/2” behind it fabbed up.

The Solo is still louder than stock, however, the drone & overall volume has mellowed nicely after a few hundred miles over 8 days, but we have a few more muffler options to try out.

Last edited:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great, thanks for the feedback, let me know if you try others, from the sound of it, I don't think it's worth my cutting out what I have right now for the Solo. But if you try others, would love to know.

cjfarm11

Reaction score
So what’s the sound or in cab drone like with catted down pipes and factory exhaust? I don’t want noise, it the performance and mpg gain is welcome

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So what’s the sound or in cab drone like with catted down pipes and factory exhaust? I don’t want noise, it the performance and mpg gain is welcome
Unfortunately I didn't try that, wish I had, I just replaced the whole system while I was down there. But I would caution on this a little from the perspective of the sound level will change no matter what, lower restriction cats and better downpipes will increase the velocity (rather not reduce it as much). additionally, my exhaust shop that's one of the best in CO for sure, warned me that even without the upgraded downpipes, he replaces factory mufflers on these all them time. At least one a week on F150's and Expy's with the ecoboost, as the heat and pressure generated tends to destroy the packing on the junk mufflers. There's several threads on here of people who have watched this happen. So my guess is, you leave the stock catback in place, and you could be replacing the muffler soon there after anyways.