Stuck oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the first time in 13 years I was unable to remove oil filter (4.6L engine). I tried the regular oil filter wrench and would not budge. At certain point, the wrench just started sliding with filter not budging. It was hard to remove before, but I was never stuck like this. There is no space to use any other wrench (jaws, or chain). How do YOU deal with a stuck oil filter? All of the methods I'm familiar with are impossible due to lack of space, so I'm stumped...

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
YEARS AGO WE USE TO DRIVE A SCREW DRIVER THRU IT. BUT SPACE MAY HAMPER YOU. CUP FILTER WRENCH ONE USUALLY WORK BEST AND PLENTY OF EXTENSIONS , SWIVLES ALSO HELP ( SPELLING ) sorry about caps i poke and hope

jr1under

Reaction score
When I was a kid working at my father's service station, we used a screwdriver too for filters that wouldn't come off but that doesn't work very well with the construction of modern filters. Could you wrap it with duct tape and leave a long tag end to pull on for more rotary force?

OP
OP
P

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
YEARS AGO WE USE TO DRIVE A SCREW DRIVER THRU IT. BUT SPACE MAY HAMPER YOU. CUP FILTER WRENCH ONE USUALLY WORK BEST AND PLENTY OF EXTENSIONS , SWIVLES ALSO HELP ( SPELLING ) sorry about caps i poke and hope
yeah - no space at all.

OP
OP
P

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I was a kid working at my father's service station, we used a screwdriver too for filters that wouldn't come off but that doesn't work very well with the construction of modern filters. Could you wrap it with duct tape and leave a long tag end to pull on for more rotary force?
Probably not. I was hanging on the wrench with all of my 181 lbs and it would not budge.

jr1under

Reaction score
I got these oil filter pliers years ago after starting to DIY maintenance. Needed them because my 5.4's filter is so awkward to access. Is the 4.6 worse?
filter pliers.jpg

jr1under

Reaction score
Take it to Jiffy Lube and tell them you need an oil and filter change.
That's a great solution...if you checked that the filter would loosen before draining the oil. I never have but will from now on!

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a real pia method if all else fails. Punch a hole in the filter, drain the oil out of it, split the canister, remove the filtering media, peel the remains of the canister off, carefully get as much around the mounting area of the filter out of the way, get a long extension and remove the filter mounting plate/housing. Now that you have the remains out, use a dremel with a cut off wheel or the tool of you choice, and remove the rest of the MF er. It sucks but will get the job done. I'm sure this may not be totally clear but you'll figure it out. Kinda like doing brain surgery with a machete.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire