Test Drive + $100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Today I picked up a loaded black Expedition platinum for a 24 hour test drive. And the kicker, the dealer gave me $100 for it. Why not. I do wish this was a max.

Trying to decide between the Tahoe or the Expy.

Has anyone else taken advantage of this opportunity?

Anyone else pinned with this decision?

Thanks
Yukon9f5fe80267b0328ca0604dae87737e8a.jpg4fcb96b89038a8c02304c214570888f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mothnuts

Reaction score
We have a ‘17 Tahoe Premier now. We test drove a new Platinum Expedition for a couple of days a few months ago when my pickup was getting worked on and really liked it....well I really liked it, my wife was content with it. I switched from GM pickups in ‘16 so the Expedition felt like home to me, whereas my wife has always had a GM vehicle. We took a road trip to KC last weekend (4 hours away) and came to the determination that the Tahoe is gone no matter what. The adaptive cruise absolutely sucks in the Tahoe. I’ve been waiting for the ‘19 Expeditions before I got too serious about trading as I hated to get an ‘18 so late in the year. On the way home I told my wife she needed to decide between a Yukon Denali with the 6.2 and no adaptive cruise or the Expedition. The 5.3 in the Tahoe is a dog compared to the Ecoboost. There are a lot of little differences we found and that people talk about online, but the biggest thing for us is the backseat space as I’m a big guy and like the seat laid back and we have two car seats in the middle. The biggest thing holding me back is the price difference. I can trade into a Denali (list of $76,785) for $12,750 or a ‘19 Expedition (List of $82,710) for $24,000 difference. I’m 95% sure I’ll order the Expedition in the morning, but need to talk to the wife a little more tonight. She told me on the way home to get the Expedition because she is tired of listening to me ***** about the Tahoe, and the Yukon won’t be that much different.

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I came from a Tahoe. Was hoping the Denali would meet my needs but The Ford blew it away big time.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your truck is a limited trim not a platinum...i hope they didnt advertise that as a platinum model to you.

Fordman1979

Reaction score
We have a ‘17 Tahoe Premier now. We test drove a new Platinum Expedition for a couple of days a few months ago when my pickup was getting worked on and really liked it....well I really liked it, my wife was content with it. I switched from GM pickups in ‘16 so the Expedition felt like home to me, whereas my wife has always had a GM vehicle. We took a road trip to KC last weekend (4 hours away) and came to the determination that the Tahoe is gone no matter what. The adaptive cruise absolutely sucks in the Tahoe. I’ve been waiting for the ‘19 Expeditions before I got too serious about trading as I hated to get an ‘18 so late in the year. On the way home I told my wife she needed to decide between a Yukon Denali with the 6.2 and no adaptive cruise or the Expedition. The 5.3 in the Tahoe is a dog compared to the Ecoboost. There are a lot of little differences we found and that people talk about online, but the biggest thing for us is the backseat space as I’m a big guy and like the seat laid back and we have two car seats in the middle. The biggest thing holding me back is the price difference. I can trade into a Denali (list of $76,785) for $12,750 or a ‘19 Expedition (List of $82,710) for $24,000 difference. I’m 95% sure I’ll order the Expedition in the morning, but need to talk to the wife a little more tonight. She told me on the way home to get the Expedition because she is tired of listening to me ***** about the Tahoe, and the Yukon won’t be that much different.

My wife was wanting a Tahoe but after driving the Expedition she is sold. Think my wife was tired of me putting down the Tahoe as well. Haha.

OP
OP
Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Yeah, the Yukon Denali is really nice, and the 6.2 certainly gets the job done. Right now we have an offer for a fully loaded 18 Yukon XL Denali (premier package, listed for $81K) at $69.6k plus tax and title.

The offer we got on the expedition is the XLT, FX4, nothing fancy, at $64.2k plus tax and title. Then I saw on line the same expedition for $59,450.

In any case, we really need the cargo space of the Yukon XL but love the fact that the expedition seats in the rear will tilt forward with a car seat.

Both seem like a good deal, just not sure what I'm going to tell them tomorrow. b92cbae3b1cef7dc68519d21dd6c51e5.jpg

OP
OP
Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I came from a Tahoe. Was hoping the Denali would meet my needs but The Ford blew it away big time.
So what needs were blown away in the Expy over the Denali?
Your truck is a limited trim not a platinum...i hope they didnt advertise that as a platinum model to you.
You're right. I miss typed. I tried to edit my post, but the forum wouldn't let me.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of folks here debate the Yukon Denali (XL) vs Expedition. I hear a lot that the Denali looks better from the outside, sounds better because of that huge 6.2, has a larger cargo area behind the 3rd row in the XL Denali version vs. the Max Expy, and has more bling and presence, but then it ends there. Everything else seems to be better in the Expedition, including front seat comfort, and really all rows/seats comfort, flexibility of moving seats in 2nd row independently, large panoramic sunroof, better ride (IRS), better technology due to the more recent redesign,...oh and better safety both passive and active, and higher safety scores.

It's a tough decision and you really can't go wrong with either but the Expy does win this race for now. The other thing to consider is that GM is releasing a new redesign in fall of 2019 as a 2020 model (for Suburban, Yukon, Escalade) which will for the first time have IRS. It'll be interesting to see what that will bring.

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For me the big draw of the Yukon is the better gas mileage while towing and bigger fuel tank. With the Expy I'm expecting to get ~230 miles of range towing a travel trailer whereas the Yukon will do 300. [my JGC Ecodiesel will do 400] If you never leave the interstate it's not an issue, but for my family, we like to get off the beaten path and it'd be nice to not have to worry as much about refueling. Also the solid rear axle is better for towing.

True that GM will bring out a new design in 2019 but it won't be safe to buy until MY22. The current gen Yukon/Tahoe/Esky (released in MY15) had so many problems out of the gate that I wouldn't trust their first or even 2nd model year of the new design.

Last edited:

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The adaptive cruise absolutely sucks in the Tahoe.
Could you please elaborate on this? I've read a lot of similar comments but I'm not sure how exactly the Tahoe/Yukon's adaptive cruise sucks and/or in what ways the Expedition's system is better. I have adaptive cruise control in my Jeep Grand Cherokee and I'm pretty happy with it, so I believe I have an idea of how such a system "should" work.