Towing : Which features/packages should I select when custom ordering expedition (build to order)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

wannabeMtb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In July I had ordered a 2021 XLT Max with the FX4 package. I went with this over the suburban because of the higher tow rating. I just don't like the sunroof in general. Nobody can ever agree on whether to keep it open or closed and it never gets used as often as I think it will, so I opted for a trim level without it. Did you go with the captain's chairs or the bench seat in the second row? I would also order the cargo package for about 300 bucks. It gives you roof rails and better storage trees in the floor in the back. It's actually a good value as getting the roof bars alone will run you more than that. I'm towing a 30 ft travel trailer rated around 7,500 lb. With weight distribution and sway control it does really well. The thing I don't like is using the dial to get to tow haul mode. I wish it just had a button. Only thing I wish I had is LED lights but those only come on a trim level w sunroof. FX4 also only has 1 wheel option. Would have preferred 20" wheel, but to be honest, an 18" wheel w lots of rubber is much better as my wife curbs it.

Yes, I got the captains chairs since both my kids are cranky and so my wife sits with them in the 2nd or 3rd row and hence the captains chairs allow easy movement between 2nd and 3rd rows. Wife is always sitting with a pair of hospital grade vomit bags since on most of our trips, at least one kid throws up sometime during the trip :) Also, kids feel claustrophobic in 3rd row if 2nd row is bench seats.

Thanks for the tip regarding the cargo package. Yes, I got that as well. But was actually wondering whether I need it since the factory installed roof cross bars seemed very flimsy on a 2021 model. What has been your experience with your roof cross bars ? Were they sturdy enough to put some cargo box ?

30 ft travel trailer , wow ! Thats a good sized tow.

BrianM

Reaction score
Is there anything else needed from a Towing perspective ?

I custom ordered the 2022 Expedition MAX. It will arrive in April/May next year. I already ordered the
- Heavy Duty Trailer Tow package.
- 4x4

I intend to tow either a travel trailer or a boat. Both less than 6000 lb

I submitted an order to ford ; but still have time to change it.

Thank you !
You didn't mention which trim level you ordered, but in the Limited trim, according to the 2022 Expedition Order Guide, the 302A High package includes "Heavy-Duty Independent Suspension" which presumably would help with your payload capacity, although there is also speculation that this might be mechanical load leveling. My local dealer could not tell me what it is, disappointingly. Might be worth asking your dealer about that to see if it's a worthwhile choice.

Last edited:

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've personally never found any use for "roof bars" on any of my SUVs so wouldn't pay extra for them. Just looked out my office window and there's bars on my roof rack. Still wondering about their utility.
You mean the cross bars? They're for those of us who carry stuff on the roof. The roof is only 0.65 or 0.7 mm thick; you want the cross bars to take that load and put it on the structure.