Traded the Navigator and couldn't be happier!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's my understanding that a 2021 Jeep is a Fiat. Good luck with that.
Fix It Again Tony.

My 2004 EB Expedition is one of the most comfortable of all the vehicles I have ever experienced. It's common for guest passengers to comment the same. So it's not just me.

The EB trim is my favorite for its appearance and utility. My friend with a Lexis thinks I'm nuts. I had a 94 EB Explorer and still loved it when I sold it after getting the Expedition.

But then I'm even smitten with the fact that Ford 12 volt power points are live with the ignition turned off.

I would have to agree. Our 2003 navigator and expy ride extremely well and often raise eyebrows at how quiet and well mannered they are cruising around from guests. I've had several co workers in mine who are just astounded a nearly 250k mi truck has the amenities and ride quality that it does. My boss just bought a 21 escape that rides like a civic, has no power and has less tech than my 2003. He's slightly annoyed by that.

My only experience with Jeeps are older models, newest I've spent any real amount of time in was a 2011 GC. It was nice but essentially imo a big car w 4wd. It was quiet and ride nicely but was also more or less brand new so one should expect that. Nearly everyone I know that has a jeep has had quite a few problems but again, comes w the age of thier vehicles. Neither of our fords are perfect but have had significant less serious issues.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My boss just bought a 21 escape that rides like a civic, has no power and has less tech than my 2003. He's slightly annoyed by that.
This is an absolutely useless observation. That is a completely different pricepoint, not to mention, the trim level affects this A LOT. Choose a lower trim with the smaller engine, and yes. The middle to high trims of the Escape FAR EXCEED the Tech in your 2003. Heck the Escape was one of the first to include FordPass remote lock and start. It was even included on Base models that didn't have it on the remote. Let's not even talk about the safety equipment. Please try again.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the GM offering and have been watching the 15-20 Yukons close. Once the used market settles down I’d like to jump. They have a nice HUD and are a pretty vehicle, and the 6.2 purrs nicely. They ride pretty darn good IRS or not. Take a Denali for a drive. I like the lane keep assist and auto braking with the cruise on them too. The new ones are drop dead gorgeous…..You can read auto magazines all you want but….half the time they don’t even know what they are driving let alone tech specs or reality of performance. I recall one article where they said a 5.3 Burb towed better than an EcoBoost and I about spit my water out laughing. They don’t know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the GM offering and have been watching the 15-20 Yukons close. Once the used market settles down I’d like to jump. They have a nice HUD and are a pretty vehicle, and the 6.2 purrs nicely. They ride pretty darn good IRS or not. Take a Denali for a drive. I like the lane keep assist and auto braking with the cruise on them too. The new ones are drop dead gorgeous…..You can read auto magazines all you want but….half the time they don’t even know what they are driving let alone tech specs or reality of performance. I recall one article where they said a 5.3 Burb towed better than an EcoBoost and I about spit my water out laughing. They don’t know.
The LS's eat the lifters and such, but they all have some sort of problem eventually.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a '16 Yukon XL and it towed VERY well due to the air suspension and solid rea axle. It was far more stable on the highway than my Expy, even after I added the sway bar, sumo springs, and better tires.

Engine-wise, the 5.3 really wasn't a strong point, but it got the job done. The EB is a clear winner here, though. It's really no contest.

Thing is, GM has always (and continues) to keep the max towing capacity low on their SUVs, and for my use the 8000 lb capacity just didn't cut it. That's actually what drew me over to the Expedition to begin with. If I could get past the stupid QC issues in this vehicle I'd be all set.

Emilner

Reaction score
The LS's eat the lifters and such, but they all have some sort of problem eventually.
That is a single bad batch issue. It's a really bad issue, but it only impacts 21's made during a certain time and they are replacing them. The real issue is the engine itself sucks. They idle like a 60's muscle car with a lumpy cam. And when you step on it it feels like you are waiting for a grenade to go off...

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sorry but i have to completely disagree on the yukon’s. dealer put me in a brand new yukon because it was the only SUV at enterprise & i literally couldn’t drive it. i mean that in all seriousness - the steering feel & response was downright horrible, like i was riding on a big waterbed instead of asphalt - & the engine / trans performance was a joke compared to my stock limited expy. there was literally not one thing about it that was even slightly appealing in comparison. after a few miserable hours driving it i promptly returned it. no way, no how, not ever would i go down that road again. i would honestly prefer to deal with yearly cam phaser repairs & crap ford service to keep the performance & road connectivity of my expy. nothing even comes close IMO.

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every brand and model has issues…..we came from a “reliable” generation 2014 Escalade ESV that had tons of issues, including trans, which was supposed to be bulletproof. 2015-2020 GM full-size models can have lifter issues, torque converter issues on the horrible 8 speed autos, and strange harmonics which make “buffeting” sounds. Some 2021 had bad lifters too.

She drove them both and really liked the Expedition, so we bought a CPO 2018 Platinum and she’s happy.

New Grand Wagoneer looks amazing but it’s taken so blasted long to get to market that we just couldn’t wait any longer……GC L was not big enough for us.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every brand and model has issues…..we came from a “reliable” generation 2014 Escalade ESV that had tons of issues, including trans, which was supposed to be bulletproof. 2015-2020 GM full-size models can have lifter issues, torque converter issues on the horrible 8 speed autos, and strange harmonics which make “buffeting” sounds. Some 2021 had bad lifters too.

She drove them both and really liked the Expedition, so we bought a CPO 2018 Platinum and she’s happy.

New Grand Wagoneer looks amazing but it’s taken so blasted long to get to market that we just couldn’t wait any longer……GC L was not big enough for us.
The Grand Wagoneer in person looks absolutely gross. Its beyond fugly from the sides, I mean think Honda Minivan. They had them at Roadkill Nights and I immediately said "nope", even tho I LOVE that 392 in it!

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Grand Wagoneer in person looks absolutely gross. Its beyond fugly from the sides, I mean think Honda Minivan. They had them at Roadkill Nights and I immediately said "nope", even tho I LOVE that 392 in it!
My brother waited for the new Grand Wagoneer. He had to have it. When one came into his dealership he loved everything about it but the looks. He bought a Black Label Navi instead, surprised us all. I still have not seen one in person. But I love the looks of the GC.