Transmission Not In Park error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tuck

Reaction score
Your door open warning switch may be bad. It's about 20 dollars but I don't have a repair manual to let you know how easy/hard it is to replace. You could probably test it by pushing on it to see if you can recreate the problem.

Paul M

Reaction score
Well shuckiedarn it all to hell, the damn "not in park" message is back with a vengeance. We leave for Denver-Idaho-Jackson Hole-Yellowstone-Deadwood-Mt. Rushmore-and whatever two headed calf advertisement I see in the Expedition on Friday so I guess it'll go in the shop after the 4th when we return. Hopefully by then one of you drivers will have a solution I can pass along to the service writer.

It's just the wife and I and I'm really looking forward to see how the Expedition road trips. I'm getting too old with too little patience to deal with airlines and idiots anymore...

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well shuckiedarn it all to hell, the damn "not in park" message is back with a vengeance. We leave for Denver-Idaho-Jackson Hole-Yellowstone-Deadwood-Mt. Rushmore-and whatever two headed calf advertisement I see in the Expedition on Friday so I guess it'll go in the shop after the 4th when we return. Hopefully by then one of you drivers will have a solution I can pass along to the service writer.

It's just the wife and I and I'm really looking forward to see how the Expedition road trips. I'm getting too old with too little patience to deal with airlines and idiots anymore...

It has been my experience with the 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 that I purchased new, that Ford dealer technicians have very little ability to trouble shoot problems.

Other than basic mechanical issues (brakes, oil changes, etc), they are clueless and are nothing more than code readers who replace whatever part the Ford system tells them to.

OP
OP
N

Nuwin

Reaction score
Welp, this never did get fixed on my watch. Dealership saw the error a couple of times but had no answer and were "waiting on Ford" for a resolution. The promised callbacks never came. Ended up trading it in as it continued to have warranty issues to the point where I lost confidence in the vehicle. Too bad. Was nice to drive, but I sure ended up with a poor example. Quite a few of these running around the neighborhood and folks seem happy and didn't have near the trouble I did.

Last edited:

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tried shutting the engine off while still in D? The transmission is supposed to shift into P when you do that. I have no idea if this will cure anything, but maybe worth a try as it won't damage anything as long as you're standing still.