Unknown leaking in 2021 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2nd Gen has a TED as well, it works great I my '03. I can't imagine buying an 80k version of my truck with just a fan... You effectively have no cooling until the vehicles ambient temp drops significantly. In peak summer heat that could be awhile. I'll add that to the ever growing list of reasons I'm not a large fan of the 4th Gen. It has its fair share of good things but that other side of the list is getting longer and longer.
Well, I'm in FL and it gets damn hot, the fan does it'job just fine.

OP
OP
J

Jchamp

Reaction score
Kids... One is in a car seat the other is hardly in it. I don't allow food or drinks inside either. We had hard rain from that hurricane down south and they had it sitting outside, no leaks. My other question though ac drains water under the engine or front passenger tire and back passenger tire?
This has been such a hastle. The dealership said there are no tubes running to that seat for air to it like coolant and such. When we wash it we use a pressure washer bc that's the kind of soap we use that hooks up to it. So it gets that once a week or two. I'm so lost. I traded my 2018 explorer for this 4 months ago

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kids... One is in a car seat the other is hardly in it. I don't allow food or drinks inside either. We had hard rain from that hurricane down south and they had it sitting outside, no leaks. My other question though ac drains water under the engine or front passenger tire and back passenger tire?
This has been such a hastle. The dealership said there are no tubes running to that seat for air to it like coolant and such. When we wash it we use a pressure washer bc that's the kind of soap we use that hooks up to it. So it gets that once a week or two. I'm so lost. I traded my 2018 explorer for this 4 months ago

Well, your narrowing down the possibilities. IIrc you said you smelled a musty smell that started you looking.
A musty smell takes a few day's to present itself. I understand one of your kids is in a car seat, is it possible that the rear side door button was brushed against when putting the kid in the seat and lowered the window a bit so water could get in?
I'm at the point that if nothing you or the dealer has done to force water in, remembering it was on the seat cushion, it apparently came in with some force. A force that can't be duplicated with a power washer. I'm going with a window inadvertently opened a bit and wind driven rain coming in or a door not fully closed.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd say they forgot to install a plug somewhere at the factory, it happens. They need to take down the headliner and investigate.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2nd Gen has a TED as well, it works great I my '03. I can't imagine buying an 80k version of my truck with just a fan... You effectively have no cooling until the vehicles ambient temp drops significantly. In peak summer heat that could be awhile. I'll add that to the ever growing list of reasons I'm not a large fan of the 4th Gen. It has its fair share of good things but that other side of the list is getting longer and longer.
The fan only cooling works great. Completely adequate, and never leaks. The rear seats have no ventilation, so double NO for that as a possible cause. I liked the headliner/paper towel idea. Just out of curiosity, is your AC drain letting water out when your AC is running?

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Watching this as my '16 has mystery water leak too. Sometimes water is filled in the second row seat bolt wells, the last time things got wet was underneath the right second row passenger seat only the carpet. Just a lowly XLT... No sunroof, heated/cooled seats etc. My '04 had a mystery leak on the driver's side near the A post recently, I checked and reglued the weather seal on the door frame and that seamed to stop it. On the '16 the water inside seems to only happen with a windstorm and rain so I suspect perhaps door seal s well but don't see any issues.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You commented the water was cold, I would review A/C drain lines. Not sure if there are two evaporator coils with dual air. possibility of rear A/C drain line

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The OP mentioned his front seat was wet. Somehow the water managed to jump. I don't get it.
Haven't heard from him/her in a week soooo...

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was the water on top of the seat cushion? If it was, it must have leaked in from up high. Before ripping into anything, check the two front sunroof drains in the cassette by opening the sunroof and standing up inside the truck looking at the 11 and 1 o clock positions in the tub of the cassette. Look around to see if there is any debris anywhere in the cassette tub that could float around or be clogging the drain like leaves and pine needles. All sunroof seals from any car manufacturer leak water past the seals into this tub and down the drains. Sometimes debris in this tub can partially block the drain and depending on the angle the car is parked on, the water can overflow into the car. You can also pour water into this area to be sure it drains and runs out the bottom of the car and doesn’t drip into the interior. I didn’t have a chance to run out to my Expedition but the below is what to look for. The cassette has 4x in total but I’d focus on the fronts. Debris is the biggest problem and second is the drain behind the a-pillar is not pushed tightly onto the cassette tub drain but you would need to pull the a-pillar interior trim to get to that.

1631127730975.jpeg

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Read post 1-7 OP maintains the roof was closed and the dealer told him it was not the sunroof. He hasn't posted since, I assume he found the problem