Vibration while braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So here is one I have the dealership trying to figure out for me, maybe someone has idea. 2020 Limited Max. So when I am in heavy stop and go traffic I get a bad vibration from the rear. Its not present when brakes are cold. I thought it was a warped rotor in the front originally, changed pads and rotors, that didn't fix it. Concluded it was coming from back. Changed rotors and pads that didn't fix it. Checked to make sure all the pins and everything were not hanging up. Normal wear. Dealer wanted to change pads and rotors that isn't covered by extended warranty. I told them absolutely no. I will not be doing that because I changed all of them and it didn't fix it.
This is my thinking.
I did have to have the right front caliper go bad and had to replace it. Could it be a air in line/ bleeding issue? I assume they replaced and bleed it correctly. The vehicle is due for brake fluid change. I asked them to change the fluid out and bleed the system. I am hoping that possibly solve it? If not what the next area to consider? Bad brake piston/ Caliper? Wear seems to be normal and the brakes aren't getting extra ordinarily hot. Because it only happen when braking I've ruled out anything with power train? Is that safe to rule out? Thanks for any other ideas to pass along to shop.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So here is one I have the dealership trying to figure out for me, maybe someone has idea. 2020 Limited Max. So when I am in heavy stop and go traffic I get a bad vibration from the rear. Its not present when brakes are cold. I thought it was a warped rotor in the front originally, changed pads and rotors, that didn't fix it. Concluded it was coming from back. Changed rotors and pads that didn't fix it. Checked to make sure all the pins and everything were not hanging up. Normal wear. Dealer wanted to change pads and rotors that isn't covered by extended warranty. I told them absolutely no. I will not be doing that because I changed all of them and it didn't fix it.
This is my thinking.
I did have to have the right front caliper go bad and had to replace it. Could it be a air in line/ bleeding issue? I assume they replaced and bleed it correctly. The vehicle is due for brake fluid change. I asked them to change the fluid out and bleed the system. I am hoping that possibly solve it? If not what the next area to consider? Bad brake piston/ Caliper? Wear seems to be normal and the brakes aren't getting extra ordinarily hot. Because it only happen when braking I've ruled out anything with power train? Is that safe to rule out? Thanks for any other ideas to pass along to shop.
Sounds like moisture in your line, you may want to start with a full flush with the ABS module guiding the flushing process.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is my thinking.
I did have to have the right front caliper go bad and had to replace it. Could it be an air in line/ bleeding issue? I assume they replaced and bleed it correctly. The vehicle is due for brake fluid change. I asked them to change the fluid out and bleed the system. I am hoping that possibly solve it? If not what the next area to consider? Bad brake piston/ Caliper? Wear seems to be normal and the brakes aren't getting extra ordinarily hot. Because it only happen when braking I've ruled out anything with power train? Is that safe to rule out? Thanks for any other ideas to pass along to shop.
You should ask them to first take a lateral run out reading of all 4 rotors. This could still be coming from the front rotors. They will easily determine which one is causing the issue. Then they will remove the rotor and check the hub.

this could simply be rust build up on the hub face or a bad hub.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this similar issue on my Ford Excursion. It turned out to be a bad caliper that warped a rotor. The caliper was not retracting all the way, causing it to drag the pads on the rotor creating enormous heat. When I applied the brakes, I got the vibration you describe.