Water pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

11henrs

Reaction score
I’ve got a 17 expy with 51k miles. I noticed the other day and now today that I hear water rushing gurgling almost a boiling sound but more like circulation while I’m inside the car. My water temp inside reads 178-187. My reservoir is up To the full line.

Something else not sure if related or not. After turning the car off the chime stayed on and I didn’t remember it doing that before. All the light were off and all other doors closed except the driver door I was getting out off. If I close it the chime stops but when I open the door it chimes. 15 minutes after the car was off I came back outside and I noticed the water pump was still running. Is that in any way normal?? Thanks in advance for the help

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have air in the heater core. My 2007 did that for a while after I flushed the coolant until the air worked itself out.....did you have any fluid change recently?

OP
OP
11henrs

11henrs

Reaction score
How long should it take to get those bubbles out? This has gone on for at least a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could run the engine all the way hot at idle with front and rear heat on and crack open the cap on the degas bottle for a while, that will likely get the air out of the system.

OP
OP
11henrs

11henrs

Reaction score
Okay I can give that at a shot. Do you know anything about the water pump staying on well after the truck is shut off?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay I can give that at a shot. Do you know anything about the water pump staying on well after the truck is shut off?

Not possible. The coolant pump is mechanically driven by the engine.

OP
OP
11henrs

11henrs

Reaction score
Adjustments.jpg
This is what it looks like and has the same part number on top of it. What is this?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How long should it take to get those bubbles out? This has gone on for at least a month.

Air removal: When cold (over night), remove radiator cap. Fill it up right to the rim, put the cap back on. Make sure your reservoir is full to the COLD line. Drive normally. The next morning, do the same thing. Keep doing this until the radiator doesn't need any filling, and the reservoir remains at FULL COLD.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you hear is passive siphon cooling after you shut it off, in short coolant is still flowing for a while. Turbo engines do that so the turbos don’t cook the oil after you turn it off. After coolant stops pumping it heat soaks and heats up even further. If coolant didn’t continue to flow the turbos would cook your engine oil badly over a short period. Having air in the system you are likely hearing this more so when it occurs.