What’s major differences between 2nd and 3rd gen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 3rd gen Expy was sitting next to a 2nd Expy today at the shop. (They actually gave me keys to the wrong one when I picked it up).

I noticed that stuff like the rear hatch, bumper covers, doors even...they look practically identical. If I recall though...i thought the 3rd gen rides on a new platform? Did Ford change the frame/suspension but reuse many of same body pieces for the 3rd gen?

I know the engine went 3v and there’s a new trans and such. I just started wondering how much both gens have in common.

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 3rd gen Expy was sitting next to a 2nd Expy today at the shop. (They actually gave me keys to the wrong one when I picked it up).

I noticed that stuff like the rear hatch, bumper covers, doors even...they look practically identical. If I recall though...i thought the 3rd gen rides on a new platform? Did Ford change the frame/suspension but reuse many of same body pieces for the 3rd gen?

I know the engine went 3v and there’s a new trans and such. I just started wondering how much both gens have in common.

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They went with a better stiffer f150 frame, maybe a later year. Lots of changes, I would much rather have the later version.