What’s you’re avg. mpg in your expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mileage can vary even with same year, same motor, same 2 or 4 wheel drive. State of tune, wheel alignment, brake drag, tires can add/subtract 1-2 mpg. Tire pressure is extremely critical. How much you idle vehicle. Weight of items in vehicle. Removing both rear seats alone drops weight 75 plus pounds. On mine i removed rear tow hitch, and front row hooks, plus 3 rd seat. That was over 125 pound reduction. A drivers weight alone is huge, pardon the pun. A 150 pound driver vs a 300 pound one like myself is going to affect mpg and pulling torque up grades. Even a slippery oil like full synthetic helps a little.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Ranger Jim

Reaction score
My last 99 EB got 10-14 in city 20 MPG on long highway runs.
The trick to getting the best mileage is - once you get to speed (gradually) then hold the throttle in the same spot;
(lean your foot to the center floor hump) vehicle will slow slightly uphill and speed up downhill.
I got the best mileage around 70 mph and 2k RPMs

My 06 gets 10-12 in city and 18 on highway

OP
OP
Eric08

Eric08

Reaction score
My 02 5.4 XLT gets a solid 12 mpg every time I check it.
My 97 5.4 XLT gets 13-14 MPG. I drive them the same so I don't understand why they are different.
May be due to weight. My father in laws 2017 is heavier than mine but gets right around the same gas mileage as mine

Joseph3

Reaction score
I don't know about city/highway figures yet, but I am averaging 12.6 mpg. 2000 EB. This average includes about 200 miles of recent towing (3500 lb travel trailer). I drive mostly in the burbs, 35-45 most places. Funny thing is trailer towing didn't seem to bring down my average. It's like my F-250 (460), 12 mpg whether I'm towing or not.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2007 5.4L 3.73s average combined today is 15.5 MPG, was at 16.1 MPG but I’ve hammered on it this past week. I get about 18 MPG highway.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You know what I learned driving taxi in San Francisco, is all cab drivers embellish on how much they made that day, same thing for individuals stating gas mileage. If a stock vehicle that gets 11 mpg city like a 97-02 expedition 4x4 gets, then school me how same vehicle all of a sudden jumps to 13-15 city driving. Maybe it's like the 8 day Chanukah candle, supposed to burn for 1 day, but miraculously burned for 8! Maybe our members with this super mileage are running 65 psi in their tires! This is not my first rodeo, it amazes me how certain individuals have these blessed vehicles, wish I knew where to buy one!

Bruce Mitchell

Reaction score
Just under a quarter-million miles on my '99 EB 5.4L. Computer says 14.3 average MPG. That's almost exclusively highway driving; I live up here in North Central Wisconsin where people go to get away from it all - the closest traffic light is 20 miles away. Kind of nice, actually.;)

Gilbert Fernandez

Reaction score
Yeah I just reread the column you posted in the other engine section. It was 9 gallons of fuel to one gallon of lacquer thinner. You might check to be sure your ebrakes not dragging. Real common when the cables haven't been lubed, or shoes adjusted too tight. I leave mine on the real loose side. You can actually pull the cables and see if it helps. It did with mine, if you do change one side cable, change both. Just another thing to check.

Yeah I just reread the column you posted in the other engine section. It was 9 gallons of fuel to one gallon of lacquer thinner. You might check to be sure your ebrakes not dragging. Real common when the cables haven't been lubed, or shoes adjusted too tight. I leave mine on the real loose side. You can actually pull the cables and see if it helps. It did with mine, if you do change one side cable, change both. Just another thing to check.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See Bruce's I believe! My tank will eek out around 15 mpg if I'm doing straight highway at 65 mph, 10 in town. Mileage goes way down with Ac running, or excessive idling, mine drops to 9 then.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev