What am I going to need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Workin great! Lucked out it was in a truck with no woofer my sound quality is still good.

The wife's Mountaineer has that exact unit. In the console, there is a 3.5mm connector which allowed a phone (music, phone only) to be hooked into the unit. Did you happen to notice that sort of jack on back before you installed it? You would use the "Line In" function for it.

Her Mounty also has the rear audio/DVD player on the ceiling behind the front seats. Thats what the "Rear Zone" function is for.

Last edited:

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
The wife's Mountaineer has that exact unit. In the console, there is a 3.5mm connector which allowed a phone (music, phone only) to be hooked into the unit. Did you happen to notice that sort of jack on back before you installed it? You would use the "Line In" function for it.

Her Mounty also has the rear audio/DVD player on the ceiling behind the front seats. Thats what the "Rear Zone" function is for.

The 07 has a line in on the lower portion of the dash. Opposite side of the cig lighter socket

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It’s a nice unit. It’s not the most up to date contraption but it’s just what I wanted, looks nicer than the radio and allows for some extra features. Plus I like that it fits the truck and looks in place. What gixer said the line in is low in the dash.

Last edited:

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It will correct once you plug the GPS antenna in. Once it knows your location it's will all update. The guy I sold mine to had the same issue.

It’s not just learning your location from the GPS, the signal contains the time and date as well.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
So happy for you! I always hold my breath when buying expensive stuff for the car and hoping it'll work out. When the antenna comes it goes right under the dash on top of the metal support plate. I found a Ford one and had to tie-wrap it because it didn't have its bracket or clip or whatever Ford uses. I understand some of the aftermarket ones are magnetic.

When you plug it in, it may take a few minutes to find your precise location. If you still have a problem, there are settings to calibrate the thing, but I never had to use it.

Congrats! Looks great. Navigation was never available on Explorers with the manual heater.

Allan E Joyner

Reaction score
Not sure, this is the exact model I bought (found a pic of one on web). I see there are “Latest Map Update” chips sold everywhere for ford but they all say sync on the chip, is this unit updatable with latest Navi software or no? I mainly wanted the nicer looks and the navigation (if it works lol).
View attachment 23210

I recently bought a cheap radio that looked just like that for my son who had issues with his Volkswagen Jetta stock radio. The radio looks nice but the LCD screen is garbage during the day and it looks grey just like that one does. It should look black or at least darker. His works fine but we have noticed a parasitic draw on the battery but would never say it was the radio considering Volkswagen is known for their electrical issues. The LCD is definitely an issue and you might want to look at the specs of the brightness and clarity before installing....you cant return if it's been installed. My Expy has navigation but its done by voice only with no screen on my radio. Since I only listen to Spotify on my phone and Waze (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze&hl=en) gives updated traffic real time and really works well. that made it ok for me and I grabbed a vent magnetic holder that sits above that useless change holder and my phone never moves when the bottom is set in the change holder. Since I have the note 8 the screen isn't much smaller and I can reach it perfectly and see it easily without taking my eyes to far or leaning towards the middle to push buttons....Good luck with your install.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was not aware it used the GPS antenna to initially set the time. It wouldn't be a stretch to then assume the clock would then update itself when you cross time zones, which is certainly does not.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was not aware it used the GPS antenna to initially set the time. It wouldn't be a stretch to then assume the clock would then update itself when you cross time zones, which is certainly does not.

The GPS system is based on what time it is where you are and when you receive a specific signal from a specific satellite (system needs 2 SATs to do anything, 3 for accuracy). IIRC, you can adjust the Time Zone update in the Settings function to automatically adjust for time zone changes and for Daylight Savings time.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a cheap radio that looked just like that for my son who had issues with his Volkswagen Jetta stock radio. The radio looks nice but the LCD screen is garbage during the day and it looks grey just like that one does. It should look black or at least darker. His works fine but we have noticed a parasitic draw on the battery but would never say it was the radio considering Volkswagen is known for their electrical issues. The LCD is definitely an issue and you might want to look at the specs of the brightness and clarity before installing....you cant return if it's been installed. My Expy has navigation but its done by voice only with no screen on my radio. Since I only listen to Spotify on my phone and Waze (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze&hl=en) gives updated traffic real time and really works well. that made it ok for me and I grabbed a vent magnetic holder that sits above that useless change holder and my phone never moves when the bottom is set in the change holder. Since I have the note 8 the screen isn't much smaller and I can reach it perfectly and see it easily without taking my eyes to far or leaning towards the middle to push buttons....Good luck with your install.

No problems with brightness at all, It has auto adjust, it’s the Ford factory unit and is quite a bit nicer than the regular radio that came with these trucks. Display is nice and always clear so far. It does directions via voice through stereo and on screen simultaneously.

Last edited: