When is it time for an oil change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see a lot of people using semi synthetic, or synthetic blend. Is there a reason you wouldn't use full synthetic? It's all I used in my previous Escalade. Is it just a cost thing?

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see a lot of people using semi synthetic, or synthetic blend. Is there a reason you wouldn't use full synthetic? It's all I used in my previous Escalade. Is it just a cost thing?

Motorcraft Semi Synth is what the factory put in and recommended in the owners manual.

fabsroman

Reaction score
On a anew vehicle,I would also change it early regardless of what monitor or manual says.
I would change in by 1500 miles 2000 MAX.
Then go by monitor or every 5-6K with standard oil. You can go longer wit full synthetic...or stay at lower intervals and have a cleaner engine.
Cleanner doesn't really mean it will last longer or have fewer but it WILL be cleaner inside.

This is what I did. Changed the oil with the odometer at 500 miles and then again when the odometer read 5,000 miles. I will change it every 5,000 miles from thereon out and I use Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter on the SUV. I have been using Mobil 1 in my 89 Mustang, 98 Taurus, 03 F350, 10 Focus, and 17 Expedition. The Taurus has 254,000 miles on it and I removed the oil pan last summer after doing a timing gear/belt change, among other work. After 250,000 miles, there was zero sludge in the oil pan and I change the oil every 5,000 miles on the Taurus. If you keep the vehicle for a long time, like I do, dealing with sludge later on is a nasty mess.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is what I did. Changed the oil with the odometer at 500 miles and then again when the odometer read 5,000 miles. I will change it every 5,000 miles from thereon out and I use Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter on the SUV. I have been using Mobil 1 in my 89 Mustang, 98 Taurus, 03 F350, 10 Focus, and 17 Expedition. The Taurus has 254,000 miles on it and I removed the oil pan last summer after doing a timing gear/belt change, among other work. After 250,000 miles, there was zero sludge in the oil pan and I change the oil every 5,000 miles on the Taurus. If you keep the vehicle for a long time, like I do, dealing with sludge later on is a nasty mess.

I have seen lots of clean engines with mobil 1 but I keep reading the regular syn is not as good as it used to be.

Filters are overkill. A standard motorcraft is all anyone needs and they are cheap at walmart.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have seen lots of clean engines with mobil 1 but I keep reading the regular syn is not as good as it used to be.

Filters are overkill. A standard motorcraft is all anyone needs and they are cheap at walmart.
My one parts guy uses Mobil, his coworker swears by the Lucas synthetic

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire