Where do you put your keys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is absolutely to protect the idiots and they are multiplying fast. I think I was born a generation too late.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or, ya know, keyless entry/ignition is just more convenient. But I'm sure it's the thing you said about a grand scheme to wussify america...much more plausible.

(I'm just having a little fun with you...no offense. As I mentioned in another post earlier, I'm a millennial so you can write off my opinion anyway.)

None taken. As long as you don't come at me in a superior or condescending tone...we are all good.
We are all entitled to our opinions EVEN WRONG ONES!!

I don't think it is more convenient though.
Having one small non rfid key for each vehicle on the same ring was more convenient for me. But the keys got bigger and the plastic often breaks do that doesn't work as well.

You certainly can't carry 4-5 key fobs in your pocket!!

So regardless....you "Have to go get your keys"
If you drive multiple vehicles all the time.

I drive about 5 vehicles at my house in an average week.

I used to have all the keys in one pocket.
Another reason ford keys are better. Older GMs even as new as late 90s had two keys so you couldn't get in. Baaad!!

Also why I think all cars should have keyless entry pads on the door.
Only need the ignition key and you can open door with code.

I run into a lot of millennials that don't agree with what "society" says they believe, so it doesn't matter too much what we are.
WE are our own unique individual.

If others don't like that, they can piss off!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think part of the problem is for us that drive multiple vehicles in a day/week/whatever. I often drive any combination of 7 vehicles in any given day depending on what I need to do that particular day. For THAT reason, these FOB's are a complete and utter failure. I simply can't keep 7 FOB's in my pocket and if I did and all of my employees did, then I would need 4-5 set of FOB's for every one of these cars. The main problem is whoever drives vehicle A puts that FOB in their pocket and goes and does whatever job is needed, then they return the vehicle to the garage and there is no key to physically turn off, so they forget the stupid FOB in their pocket and then they end up with it at their home and the next person that goes to get in the car has no key for it. This cycle gets VERY vicious and we fight it every single day.

Now on the other hand, my wife mostly drives the same car everyday, so she loves the FOB because it just stays in her purse at all times and nobody else ever needs that key during the day.

Every circumstance is different, but mine sucks with these FOB's. Somedays I drive my old Diesel pickup just because it still has a key and keyless entry remote. Its just so much less annoying! :). The best part is that it never honks at me! lol

Bonji

Reaction score
I think part of the problem is for us that drive multiple vehicles in a day/week/whatever. I often drive any combination of 7 vehicles in any given day depending on what I need to do that particular day. For THAT reason, these FOB's are a complete and utter failure. I simply can't keep 7 FOB's in my pocket and if I did and all of my employees did, then I would need 4-5 set of FOB's for every one of these cars. The main problem is whoever drives vehicle A puts that FOB in their pocket and goes and does whatever job is needed, then they return the vehicle to the garage and there is no key to physically turn off, so they forget the stupid FOB in their pocket and then they end up with it at their home and the next person that goes to get in the car has no key for it. This cycle gets VERY vicious and we fight it every single day.

A great reason to keep the keyfobs in the vehicles and use keypads for entry.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A great reason to keep the keyfobs in the vehicles and use keypads for entry.
Yes, if all vehicles are new enough to have the key fobs but it only works in that case. No real perfect solution

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it bigger than your phone or wallet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its the thickness. Its 4X the thickness of my iPhone. Its just a fat slob of a FOB! I seriously ALMOST didn't buy this vehicle because of this key, but I gave in and hope I could get past it.

Michael McC

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but for those who need keys for various other things, like a warehouse or jobsite or marina or second home...

Once I got beyond 5 keys on a ring, I bought a little key ring holder like you might find inside a kitchen door and mounted it inside my console. Now I carry just the fob and house key (usually leave them in car). The keys to the rental house, marina, dad's house, etc. hang on that key holder in my console. I never have to pull up to the marina and realize I left the key fob for that gate at home.

Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/mDesign-Adhe...d=1575512343&sprefix=key+rack,aps,161&sr=8-26

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its the thickness. Its 4X the thickness of my iPhone. Its just a fat slob of a FOB! I seriously ALMOST didn't buy this vehicle because of this key, but I gave in and hope I could get past it.
EXACTLY why I say the manufacturers don't either know OR CARE we want.

They do what they want and know we HAVE to buy what they make...well we have to buy something somebody makes.

Redstripe19

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but for those who need keys for various other things, like a warehouse or jobsite or marina or second home...

Once I got beyond 5 keys on a ring, I bought a little key ring holder like you might find inside a kitchen door and mounted it inside my console. Now I carry just the fob and house key (usually leave them in car). The keys to the rental house, marina, dad's house, etc. hang on that key holder in my console. I never have to pull up to the marina and realize I left the key fob for that gate at home.

Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/mDesign-Adhesive-Damage-Free-Removes-Cleanly/dp/B01DMU6Y1S/ref=sr_1_26?crid=3JQ47S47IPX6N&keywords=key+rack+for+wall&qid=1575512343&sprefix=key+rack,aps,161&sr=8-26

That’s a nice way to keep track of multiple keys. I can’t leave anything of value in my car anymore. Earlier this year my truck was stolen straight out of my work parking lot at 3pm!