XLT with 202a vs limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nytimes770

Reaction score
I'm still on the fence on the purchase. I like the look of the limited - mainly the wheels while I know I probably won't appreciate the additional features it has over the XLT 202a.

So what can I do? Purchase the XLT and upgrade the wheels? Anyone know how much extra the dealer would charge?

How about a used limited worth low miles priced under a new xlt?

Vicious

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m also debating this. 202a does not add power tailgate right? To me the power running boards make the limited worth it. What else does the limited get over the XLT 202a besides better leather?

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 2019 XLT 4wd with 202A package, driver enhance and 20 inches wheel package. The only thing I missed from Limited is 2nd row heater and power running boards. I don't see a difference in leather. I do have power tailgate with foot sensor. I would stay away from 2018 models with plastic oil pan. It's a pain to change oil.

OP
OP
N

Nytimes770

Reaction score
Is plastic a standard thing in all 2018 trims

I have 2019 XLT 4wd with 202A package, driver enhance and 20 inches wheel package. The only thing I missed from Limited is 2nd row heater and power running boards. I don't see a difference in leather. I do have power tailgate with foot sensor. I would stay away from 2018 models with plastic oil pan. It's a pain to change oil.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is plastic a standard thing in all 2018 trims
Yes. It's first year model with many kinks to work out. I waited until 2019 and bought mine around August. A lot of owners hate the plastic drain plug because it will break when changing oil and you need a new one from Ford dealer. Ford switched back to metal drain plug in 2019.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they are different but every 3rd gen I looked at back in the fall that had power running boards either had one or both broken or one that was finicky...wouldn't come down everytime you opened the door. Granted that was only 3 vehicles but that was 3 completely random examples at 3 different locations. Myself, I'd never buy them if given the option. They are nice looking but they aren't a cheap fix if out of warranty.

2nd row heated and the power lift gate are very underrated options imo, it catches people off guard that our 03 has heated and cooled seats and is always a welcome feature for almost anyone who happens to be in it. I'd jump on those given the chance. I wouldn't hesitate on a low mile unit either, it's likely that itll be well within factory warranty and if the proce is reasonable you dont have much to lose, get a good enough deal to slap an extended plan on as well and might even be better than new for the same price.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ambiance in the ltd is a bit nicer, the heated sec row seats are nice but ppl never kno its available to them. Seat comfort is subjective, the ltd seats seem a bit more contoured and supportive, but the xlt is more comfy all around. The steering wheel leather is far superior in the ltd, one of the best steering wheels in the business personally. Idk if theres a driving difference btw the standard springs. I believe the 18s are slightly better than the 20s but not much. If you get a 302/303 with ccd n 22s, the ride is drastically different.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. It's first year model with many kinks to work out. I waited until 2019 and bought mine around August. A lot of owners hate the plastic drain plug because it will break when changing oil and you need a new one from Ford dealer. Ford switched back to metal drain plug in 2019.

The plastic oil pan and drain plug was only on early production 2018's.

Expeditions manufactured from March 20, 2018 and forward have the aluminum oil pan.

Pics from service manual showing differences in oil pans
Gen one has main girdle & Gen II does not
Oil Pump - Vehicles Built Up To: 19-March-2018........................................1756
Oil Pan - Vehicles Built Up To: 19-March-2018...........................................1797
Oil Pan - Vehicles Built From: 20-March-2018............................................1824
Oil Pump - Vehicles Built From: 20-March-2018.........................................1865

View attachment 27538

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The XLT 202A package was my primary search when looking but I didn't exclude Limited. As it turned out, I got a Limited for the price of the XLT but it took some shopping time and involved travel to CO to purchase. The Limited does have a few more spoil me options, but generally not worth the $5k+ difference in price...ymmv.

Whatever you decide, my recommendation to anyone buying a used Expedition passed it's original warranty is to purchase an ESP Premium Care (covers it all) warranty. These rigs have some design warts and it's a fools game not to have the repair insurance. Just read the long and repeating list of thread titles :rolleyes:.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The XLT 202A package was my primary search when looking but I didn't exclude Limited. As it turned out, I got a Limited for the price of the XLT but it took some shopping time and involved travel to CO to purchase. The Limited does have a few more spoil me options, but generally not worth the $5k+ difference in price...ymmv.

Whatever you decide, my recommendation to anyone buying a used Expedition passed it's original warranty is to purchase an ESP Premium Care (covers it all) warranty. These rigs have some design warts and it's a fools game not to have the repair insurance. Just read the long and repeating list of thread titles :rolleyes:.

Things that I liked on the Limited (for 2018) were availability of rear captain's chairs (XLT didn't offer them in 2018), availability of LED headlights (as a stand alone option or as part of 302A package), and availability of CCD suspension.