07 Expy replacement headlight options (under $500 for both)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While you certainly can just slap some HID bulbs in the reflector housings, you'll get far more usable light by properly retrofitting projectors. You'll also avoid blinding other drivers, which is inevitable when putting HID bulbs in reflectors (the only people that will tell you otherwise are those that already installed them and don't really give a s**t about other drivers). I am blinded almost daily by these idiots now that HID bulbs have become so popular. :mad:

In the three and a half years I drove my 05 with the HIDs installed in stock headlights, I had probably less than 10 people flash their lights at me. An HID is no different than a standard halogen in terms of beam pattern, just brighter. It is all about proper aiming of your headlights. If you have them up too high you will blind other drivers, it doesn't matter what the source of the light is it is how you aim them.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Projector retrofit is the ONLY way to go! $300 well spent and easy work. Not the greatest pic but the best I have available at the moment. Stayed with a stock look and just added the projectors. Anzo lenses are cheap, build quality is awful and can't touch a retrofit when comparing performance

20161106_153536.jpg

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Retrofits are too much work and if you don't have back up headlights then u get the point. Get an HID kit, install it into your existing headlight and call it a day, that is truly the easiest and cheapest way to eliminate your complaint

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Retrofits are too much work and if you don't have back up headlights then u get the point. Get an HID kit, install it into your existing headlight and call it a day, that is truly the easiest and cheapest way to eliminate your complaint
Morimoto MH1 screw right into the factory bulb hole so your talking 2-3hrs max for installing the projectors and that's for a first timer.

Drop in hids are illegal and don't provide an better lighting in the area you need it. Sure they are brighter but if it's not all useable light then what's the point?

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Gixer I have HIDs in my factory headlights and the focus of the beam is the same as it was with halogens except it provides more light down range and at a much wider spectrum. I've had them for one year already (55w 6000k for low beams and fog lights) I adjusted the beams the day I installed them and have never since then been flagged, flashed, talked to or had any problem what so ever retaining them.

Sorry Gixer, I'm highly inclided in the wiring and mechanical aspects of this world but attempting to retrofit my lights even with all the proper tools on hand is out of the question solely because of time, free time is hard to come by and when it does I want it spent with my kids not giving my car a surgery that something as simple as just dropping in an hid kit could solve in a mere fraction of the time.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Gixer I have HIDs in my factory headlights and the focus of the beam is the same as it was with halogens except it provides more light down range and at a much wider spectrum. I've had them for one year already (55w 6000k for low beams and fog lights) I adjusted the beams the day I installed them and have never since then been flagged, flashed, talked to or had any problem what so ever retaining them.

Sorry Gixer, I'm highly inclided in the wiring and mechanical aspects of this world but attempting to retrofit my lights even with all the proper tools on hand is out of the question solely because of time, free time is hard to come by and when it does I want it spent with my kids not giving my car a surgery that something as simple as just dropping in an hid kit could solve in a mere fraction of the time.
Lets see your output then. 25' from a wall and I'll show you the issues. Obviously your able to make your own opinion on how the light output is but if you really don't know anything about how a headlight should perform maybe you shouldn't be giving advise. Not trying to be disrespectful but it's getting ridiculous trying to educate how lighting should be and all the led/pnp hid ballers show up. Bottom line is you don't get performance in the area you should be with pnp hid and it's fact.
Again if you would like to show me your output at 25' and if it's good I'll own up and tell you it's good but I'll guarantee it's not. So step up and let's see it!

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Here Gixer if it makes you any happier buddy
First 3 pics are 25 steps away from garage door (I wear size 11.5)
1. Low beams (55w hid)
2. Low beams and fogs (55w hid both)
3. Fogs alone (55w hid)
4. Original halogens
Not sure the distance was for 4 but close enough to where I parked for those first 3.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score

What HID kit did you go with? I've been reading about headlight options for a while now, and I'm just as confused as when I stared.