Power windows won't work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Continuity is mainly used for checking the integrity of circuit wiring that has low resistance. Your meters specs should give you the threshold for when it tones and when it doesn't.
The reading on the scale is what matters - as long as it isn't "OL" you have some form of continuity.

Real world application: Your fat, laying on your back, your belly is in the way while you are working up under the dash of a schoolbus looking for a broken wire. Since the meter is in a place you can't see (on your belly), that tone comes in handy once you have made connection at each end of a wire. Other times I just watch the display.

OP
OP
J

joeytforrest

Reaction score
Other than the school bus, your description sounds awfully familiar!

Okay - My woefully uneducated analysis is that I have power interruption between the relay and the 30A circuit breaker. Again from a novice perspective, this could be due to either the ground part of the circuit or the power. I don't really get this because when we jumped 30 to 87, all systems were go.

Am I way off base? Do I need to now visually inspect the circuit board?

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have attached a print of the window circuit and the delay relay
I'll let stamp explain it to you but you will be able to see where the problem is.

The print is from a 07 but the 08 is the same

Attachments

• 100-01.jpg
    100-01.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
J

joeytforrest

Reaction score
Thank you for the diagram, Bedrck. Google had nothing and service department at Ford wasn't helpful either.

**I failed to identify this earlier. When I jump 30 to 87, master switch in driver's door and power moon roof operates normally BUT all other door power window switches remain apparently powerless.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The interruption is on the ground side of the circuit, you have proven that there is power to the relay on both the control circuit(86) and the load circuit(30).

Unfortunately the ground is controlled by a microprocessor located in the smart junction box(sjb). It has some electrical "intelligence" and will shut down a circuit if faults are detected. The smart junction box is also on the medium speed controller network so the local Joe really can't do anything since it takes a high end scanner to retrieve the DTC's for that sjb and determine what has happened to cause the shutdown.

Before attempting a work around, look at all the bells and buzzers on the Expy and see if anything else has failed or not working:

Keypad Illumination
Brake Shift Interlock
3rd Row Seat Enable
Tire Pressure Monitor System
Front Turn Lamps
Rear Turn Lamps
Stop Lamps
High and Low beams
Interior Lighting
Floor Lamp
Puddle Lamps
White Light
Backlighting LED
Door Lock Relay
Lift Gate Relay
Fog Lamp Relay
Park Lamp Relay
Horn Relay
Battery Saver Relay (check glove box light - should come on & go out after a set time @5-10 minutes)

A work a round will require removing, opening the sjb and inspecting for obvious failures and posting high resolution pics of both sides of the board. If you are not adventurous enough to do this then it is off to the dealer.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When jumped, the master switch will power all the windows?

Also check the lockout setting on the master switch.

Service departments are in business to make money remember...

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joeytforrest

Reaction score
A most excellent response, Stamp, and I really thank you for your thoroughness... Bedrck too!

Disregard my comment about only master switch working... i had the power window lock enabled.. oops!

I will take a second look at the list. I know just from working on this the past week that most of the items you listed work but I'll confirm.

Not sure if I'm adventurous enough but I will think about it. I've already removed the sjb once but didn't take it apart.

I'll confirm the items are working and then post whether I'll continue to troubleshoot.

Thanks again to both of you...

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you do take it to the dealer I would let them know all that you have done. At least that will give them the impression that you at least know something and maybe stop them from giving you a line of BULL But see if stamp agrees with this

No mater what you do please take the time to give some feedback when the problem is solved

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll give you some motivation, try $500+ to diagnose, install and program a new sjb.

Depending on how tight it is inside the sjb the modification can be easily done or if it is very tight a royal pia. That is why we would need to see the layout of the printed circuit board on both sides. Quoting Dirty Hairy "do you feel lucky today?"

You can make the modification as simple as adding a switch to control the ground or adding a relay that turns the ground on when the ignition is in run or acc.

I'm hoping you will open it up so we can have images of the board(s) to work with in the future.

Last edited: