2000 Expedition 4.6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billme

Reaction score
I’m down for a timing chain replacement, but find this on No.1 cylinder.. That explains the slight misfire.. I’m going to order a scope .. I guess the head gasket is gone.. Y’all look it over.. Maybe you guys see something I don’t..

Attachments

• B0569696-D6AE-429C-9F2E-7EFA32A727FF.jpeg
    B0569696-D6AE-429C-9F2E-7EFA32A727FF.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 02FDA1C8-60DF-414C-B6F1-FFDABD27C8D7.jpeg
    02FDA1C8-60DF-414C-B6F1-FFDABD27C8D7.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 46
  • E34DFEE8-ADF2-4AE5-9CB1-D8A276615C3E.jpeg
    E34DFEE8-ADF2-4AE5-9CB1-D8A276615C3E.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
I determined it was just a intake leak, so I’m going to continue with timing chain update.. I’m not a pro, but I don’t mind a good fight.. Just hard getting around, lol

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, probably just coolant from that intake gasket leaking between the water jacket and the intake port. It's not uncommon. Do you smell any exhaust gases in your coolant reservoir, or has it been blowing coolant out the cap from being overpressure ? Replace the two O-rings on that water pipe there under the intake before you re-assemble the motor. If you haven't already. Pull the crossover pipe off the intake manifold and inspect the mating surface for delamination and install new gaskets on the crossover. This will save you headaches down the road. Is it still the factory Ford intake? Or has someone replaced it with a Chinese Dorman ?

HVAC Coolant Pipe O-rings at Rock Auto

Fel Pro Intake Crossover Gasket Set at Rock Auto

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, intake is the all metal, crossover is one piece with the manifold.. You are correct leaking manifold to the number one…. Should I stick with it? It is heavy lol
Anyway I was thinking head gasket, but found the water leak, on the line going to the rear heater..
I had thought it might be a head gasket.. I ordered a small inspection camera to have a look.. No1 was full of carbon gunk, due to the misfire.. All other cylinders look good..
Been taking a break on the project, but I thought I would look down the oil filler with the camera.. I wish I hadn’t done it.. Saw some shiny small pieces of metal.. Probably have a follower bearing going , but the engine wasn’t tapping excessive..
I got to get the harness off the engine.. Hard for me to get back there at that mounting point, then I can take the valve cover off to see what’s going on
Thanks a bunch, really appreciate the advice

OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
I have the heater return water pipe unbolted, but it must be rusted welded to those orings, and inlet.. Tried a little heat..
Do I have to cut it off?
Thanks for the reply, intake is the all metal, crossover is one piece with the manifold.. You are correct leaking manifold to the number one…. Should I stick with it? It is heavy lol
Anyway I was thinking head gasket, but found the water leak, on the line going to the rear heater..
I had thought it might be a head gasket.. I ordered a small inspection camera to have a look.. No1 was full of carbon gunk, due to the misfire.. All other cylinders look good..
Been taking a break on the project, but I thought I would look down the oil filler with the camera.. I wish I hadn’t done it.. Saw some shiny small pieces of metal.. Probably have a follower bearing going , but the engine wasn’t tapping excessive..
I got to get the harness off the engine.. Hard for me to get back there at that mounting point, then I can take the valve cover off to see what’s going on
Thanks a bunch, really appreciate the advice

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Feel around back there for a second bolt. Might be hidden by the harness back there. But you should be able to just wiggle and pull that pipe off.

Ford Triton Heater Retrurn Pipe.jpg

OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
I did, but it’s welded on the nipple of the pump. I bent it a little trying to work back and forth.. I should have used another technique, like vice grips near the mount.. May have to cut it off with a dremel lol

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow ! How 'bout a propane torch to heat it up a little ? Does it look like it's rusted on there or something ? Some penetrating oil ?

OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
I used a heat gun, but will do the torch ..looks good on the outside, but just not moving one bit..I’ll get a new pipe after this lol
Next fight will be trying to reach the O2 sensor connection..We taking our time.. Thx for the comeback