2000 Expedition 4.6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok. If you do end up cutting it off be very careful not to damage the nipple. It's holding the O-rings and it's aluminum. Did it go for a long time without good coolant in it ? I haven't seen them that hard to get off. Must be some hard ass buildup in there. If you blew most of the water out of the pipe maybe shoot a bunch of penetrating oil in the open end and let it run down there to the nipple area. Or if you do cut the pipe don't cut it right there at the nipple, to avoid damaging the nipple. Cut it a few inches away or something so you can get Visegrips on it to twist and work it loose.

OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
Thanks Hamfisted, good advice… It will be Monday before I get back on it….
I had let my son use it for his business.. Since then it hasn’t been serviced good as when I had it..But, it was running pretty good when I decided it’s time for a timing chain change..279000 miles .. It was the best vehicle I’ve ever owned.. The body and inside look brand new, so It’s worth to put it back right.. At least for me, anyway lol
Thx again

OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
Got back on it today, just couldn’t wait to see under the valve cover..I can’t believe how in good shape it is for the mileage..Lobes don’t have a scratch on them.. Best I can tell, the followers are tight..

Attachments

• A7D86951-8461-4A2F-A60E-B53FFB2B34D8.jpeg
    A7D86951-8461-4A2F-A60E-B53FFB2B34D8.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 15

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks clean ! Must've had regular oil changes ? Looks like you got the heater pipe off ?

OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
Haven’t done it yet, I’ll do it on the button up stage, lol
I want to see the front now.. It will have to wait in the morning.. Too hot now lol..
When I get all this done, I’m going to drive down there and buy you a good meal, lol
Yep, oil was Castro 5W30 Blend

OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
Left side looks even better.. I’m flabbergasted how this looks.. On to the front cover

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
Got delayed due to neck problems.. Old people problems..
Got the cover off, and again, I’m impressed by what I see.. chains are loose, but not enough to hit aluminum lol.. I got to get some cam locks before I go any further..
The passenger side tensioner looks pretty extended.. plastic on the guides look intact, but want know fully, till they come off..

Attachments

• D3F96147-2EB5-4E3D-ADCC-33C76ECD0F8E.jpeg
    D3F96147-2EB5-4E3D-ADCC-33C76ECD0F8E.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
After watching Brian’s video, I’m thinking update the followers anyway. I need a spring compressor tool.. Don’t like the idea of the screwdriver technique.. The lower end should go 500 thousand, so I think it will be worth it..
Now I have transmission fluid leaking from the transmission.. It was jacked up in the front.. I did undo the fluid check tube, at the engine, so I could get the valve cover off.. I moved it a little.. .. So much respect for you guys that done this for a living..
It’s all or nothing now, lol

OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
Well after having the flu twice this year, I’m ready to get back on the project..
Thanks to Rock Auto my parts are here..
After taking the chains and hides off, I did find the passenger side tensioner went through the guide, and the chain ground it down a little.. So I have metal in the engine..
As soon as I figure out how I want to flush the system ( any recommendations?) I’m going to start putting her back together..

Attachments

• A83A06DD-167E-40B2-952F-02F4B88231A6.jpeg
    A83A06DD-167E-40B2-952F-02F4B88231A6.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 5
  • 1E81D485-4356-4333-A43F-B46766F40E97.jpeg
    1E81D485-4356-4333-A43F-B46766F40E97.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 5

Junkyard Jack

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about "flushing" the system. The amount of time it takes to wear that much down would probably result in the metal being in your oil filters as you've changed them over the years. Might not be ideal but you could run some cheap 5w30 through it for a bit at first then maybe after 100 miles or so do another oil change with your oil of choice. I replaced a gazillion timing chains at Nissan and there was no formal flush needed after that job. I've actually seen more issues with the RTV dust when you have to clean up the all the RTV residue do just make sure to clean everything well as you go back together with it. Awesome thread though, it's great to see new life being given to this truck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni