2012 brake job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emtmark

Reaction score
Wife's reporting a pulsation in braking and I took it out for a spin. It is indeed got a little throbbing esp at lower slowing to a stop. I'm comfortable with doing brake jobs but every vehicle is different. Tips tricks dos and do nots that the accumulated wealth here might have?

Plan is to turn the rotors unless that means taking off hubs and such. For that much pain in the butt I may just get new to start from zero. About 50k on the odo :) I saw poking around that ebay has been a good source for parts are there any go to's for parts or a particular brand that does well in the expeditions? Akebono was recommended as well as NAPA Gold.

I'm all ears thank you for your input!

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Akebono brake pads are very nice. Make sure you clean up all the mating surfaces (hub-rotor, rotor-wheel) with a wire brush or sandpaper. A little crud at the hub can turn into brake rotor wobble and even more wheel wobble.

OP
OP
E

emtmark

Reaction score
Good tip! Never thought of the hub-->rotor surface. Sort of a duh moment honestly.

OP
OP
E

emtmark

Reaction score
Anybody with the internet deal on pads n rotors?

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They also make a extreme service pad for these if you wanted to stay OEM. I have them on the back and it appears to make a difference. Make sure you flush out all the old fluid as well, that will make a HUGE difference.

Mr Bean

Reaction score
Barrie, Ontario formerly Penperlleni, Cymru
Just echoing the previous posts to make sure you do a good job on cleaning up the crud off the hubs etc. before fitting the new bits and pieces. I normally spend more time cleaning than actually doing the job. I am rather **** about things like that though. Clean off the new discs before fitting as they normally have oil on them out of the box.

OP
OP
E

emtmark

Reaction score
All good points! Cleaning the rotors is a huge must! I have a air powered sucker for bleeding which works awesome.........as long as you don't let the reservoir go dry. (That was a bad day)

I'm going to google the extreme duty pads. As it sits now the dang thing has way better pedal feel than my xterra. Leads to a few quick stops when I hop behind the wheel after a while of not driving it.

OP
OP
E

emtmark

Reaction score
Will I need to take any extraordinary steps to get the rotors off? Plan a is to have them turned the same day. b is to buy some new ones.

OP
OP
E

emtmark

Reaction score
That was awesome!! Thank you!! That's a fantastic tip!!