2012 electric running boards extend then retract when door is opened ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNDPROP

Reaction score
Just replaced front motors and brackets. And cleaned and lubed the rears. now everything works ..
BUT... when you open the door the step goes down, but then goes right back up. Unless you step on it
right away ???

ANY IDEAS ???

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure the magnetic cover for the electric motor is installed the right way. If it’s installed upside down it will make the motor do the opposite and funky things happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TNDPROP

TNDPROP

Reaction score
WHEN I FIRST INSTALLED IT WORKED GREAT... but afew weeks later started having problem.. will clean and lube again to see if ti helps..
THANKS

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wire brush the hinges and then use penetrating oil first to see if that cures it. Soak small rags and wrap them around to sit overnight.

K-Rom

Reaction score
I had the same problem after cleaning and lubing mine last month. They would also shudder on the way down.

They got better after about 20 cycles and when I tried them the next day, they were fine.

The engine was running the 2nd day so the battery not being fully charged the first day may have come into play.

ssmock

Reaction score
I have that same issue on my 2014 Limited. I notice sometimes when opening the door the radio stays on. Someone said there is a sensor switch inside the door that sticks. I have also had to step on the running board before it goes back up then recycle by opening the door a couple of times. Works great for awhile then does it again. I could never get it to replicate the problem at the dealer when my extended warranty was valid, 110K moles now. Go figure. Maybe try lubing it as mentioned in these posts.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clean them with engine cleaner spray cans, wrap rags soaked in penetrating oil around all the hinges and pivot points, and let sit overnight. If this doesn't cure it there is another problem.