2015, Upgrade to Heavy Duty Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Bigfishfin I’m looking to do this now to my 2017 XLT, am I understanding correctly you only needed those 4 pieces to upgrade to HD cooler? Thanks in advanced.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
2017 HD Tow includes the following so you won't get full HD Tow with just the auxiliary transmission radiator.

Seven wire harness
Aux trans cooler
Radiator upgrade
Brake wiring kit
Brake controller

The receiver on the back is good to 9200 pounds with a WDH (same Class IV receiver with HD Tow) but the truck is only rated at 6000 pounds without the HD Tow option which includes the two radiators -- watch your engine coolant temps even with the aux trans cooler. Transmission temps are paramount.

-- Chuck

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, Chuck. In a perfect world I’d have the time and spare cash to do both hd radiator and trans cooler, but for the type of towing and limited distances I’ll be going, I’m not as worried about engine temps as I am trans temps. Will monitor engine temps while towing and adjust the current plan as necessary.

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, don't intend to be difficult, but I am not convinced. I have seen the same exploded parts diagram, with the slightly different part numbers on a "standard" VS "HD radiator" (with the standard radiator sans transmission cooler). But, there are probably no auto transmissioned vehicles produced (including Expys) that do not have a transmission cooler integrated into the radiator...But, not wanting to "beat a dead horse) if I ever experience engine overheat conditions, I can add a HD radiator for some $300...not a big deal. I will report back if that event happens...In the mean time, here are photos of the factory transmission cooler I added to my '15...Cost $150.00 slipped into the factory bracket (already in place), add a couple of factory pipes and life is good!...

View attachment 21907

View attachment 21908

View attachment 21909

BigFishFin - Digging up an old one here.... Did you ever experience high temps with the "Non HD radiator" that has only kinda been proven exists? I'm thinking about the DIY HD tow package as well... Perhaps with better than factory parts if you will.

OP
OP
B

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have posted elsewhere my real world results from my new to me 2017 Outdoors RV Creekside 21RDS trailer. ODRV units are considered heavy, I have towed over mountain passes in 85 degree temps and never had the engine temp raise over center normal. The trans temps never have gotten over 210 degrees and most level travel have shown less than 200 degree trans temps...Set up with a Equilizer 4 way, 1,000 pound hitch and 10 ply LT tires, towing is very comfortable...

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Howdy!...I wanted an Expy to replace my very old Durango, and did research on late model Expys to see what would fit my needs. A major requirement is that I have a cargo trailer I pull frequently and thus needed a HD tow package. In my investigation, (aided by this forum, thank you all) was information that trailer wiring for a 7 way plug was largely a factory wired item for the standard XLT and the stock hitch receiver was class 4. In addition, I checked high and low and could find NO viable evidence there is in fact a "standard VS HD" radiator option, (checked online and with local dealership parts dept.) To be clear, only one radiator is available, that I could find, and the fin count on my stock unit is 19 per inch, which some postings of Ford pickups, etc., indicate to be HD.

So, the only issues I could find that would prevent me from having the factory equivalent HD tow package on a standard late model XLT was: 3.31 differential gearing, an auxiliary transmission cooler and a trailer brake controller.

Armed with this information, I search for and found a 2015 XLT with low miles. I have now added the 10 gauge battery wire from the plug under the power brake unit to the rear and installed a 7 way plug, added a factory transmission cooler and a trailer brake controller. All this cost about $300.00 and my time of maybe 5 hours (used to twist wrenches). The only difference I see now from this rig having a factory HD tow package (15,200 lb GVW) is the 3.31 gearing as opposed to the 3.73 gearing and I don't consider that an issue because of the minor 0.42 gearing difference as well as the low rpm torque range of the Ecoboost. I also use a weight distributing hitch on my trailer. BTW, tows great!...

Any thoughts? Have photos of transmission cooler install if interested.
I don't think the 3.7 rear end is part of the tow package, I think it just came in the 4wd and maybe the ext length trucks.

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BigFishFin - Digging up an old one here.... Did you ever experience high temps with the "Non HD radiator" that has only kinda been proven exists? I'm thinking about the DIY HD tow package as well... Perhaps with better than factory parts if you will.

Good stuff... has anyone actual proven visually that the HD radiator exists? I know there are two part numbers that eventually land you to one part number.... Just curious. I'm going to go for a bigass transmission cooler and brake control, then monitor accordingly.

Been doing a ton of reading and trying to figure if below is a direct replacement. I'm about 2x the size of the factory HD tow.. I think this is what the F150 guys refer to as the "Saudi Cooler"

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-oil-cooler-asy-dl3z7a095b

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good stuff... has anyone actual proven visually that the HD radiator exists? I know there are two part numbers that eventually land you to one part number.... Just curious. I'm going to go for a bigass transmission cooler and brake control, then monitor accordingly.

Been doing a ton of reading and trying to figure if below is a direct replacement. I'm about 2x the size of the factory HD tow.. I think this is what the F150 guys refer to as the "Saudi Cooler"

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-oil-cooler-asy-dl3z7a095b
Somebody in here measured them so yes.

cptncmmndo

Reaction score
I don't think the 3.7 rear end is part of the tow package, I think it just came in the 4wd and maybe the ext length trucks.

My '16 is a 4x4 XLT EL w/o the heavy duty tow, and has 3.73 gears. I'm thinking all 4x4 EL's have 3.73, and I've heard all EL's in general have them too. Not sure about the 2WDs though.