2018 Expedition HD Tow pkg potential upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oops,
Not sure what happened, but the humidity most of the night had registered right at 64% with temps starting at 74°. The last time I checked it, (the screenshot) I failed to confirm humidity had not changed, but it did. Most of the night it hovered around 65-70%.
Last Friday it was 80-85%, mega gross.

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well how are things going?
Any news for us regarding your exhaust, intake upgrades?

Sorry @Mike Wolfe just saw this post.

I had planned to drive up to Odenton Md last Sunday, for a test and tune day, but had a nagging feeling I'd be looking at a huge pita if something in the driveline went "pop".

Current plan is this, Friday Friday Friday night, to return to one of the two local tracks. I've still got the CGS exhaust sitting in the box, though I did buy an AEM "dry" drop in air filter, because it was just ~ $40, has lifetime warranty, has DEEP pleats and doesn't require oil. I'd never looked at the OEM filter when I first bought it, but after a lot of ring seating sessions, I took a peek, and it seemed it may have been a victim of blow-by. Being the goon I am, (not ready to deep six the warranty via a real tune) I decided to pair the filter with the simple JMS Pedalmax/Boostmax combo, which is due via UPS tomorrow. I MIGHT try to install the exhaust after clocking out at work tomorrow, if the shop doesn't have too many eyes around. Probably won't be able to though.

I am interested in making one last effort to dip into the high 13's without changing anything (other than the air filter, which if I did, the filter would be far from the main reason), the temps are supposed to be in the 60's! I'd like to make a pass with the stock intercooler completely cool, where the needle in the gauge cluster is just a couple hair follicles off the "C", which I've not yet had the opportunity to do so, each pass it's been dead middle of C/H.

Most of all, I need to find my suction mount for the Sony minicam, so I can record the passes from the driver's viewpoint. I'm right at 2,500 miles, so it's still on the tightside. I may end up bringing one of my inverter genny's and a few fans/10# bags of ice, to help in the quest. Once the CAC gauge moves past the initial break from C, enroute to dead middle, slightly closer to H, it is all too evident there's a significant loss of power. If I'm able to get a good pass with a cool CAC, I'll install the JMS combo and run it with 50% dial, and give it the beans. It's recommended to gap the plugs to .30 to .28 with the JMS set to 100%. Obviously I'm not going to have the confidence to do this in the pits at the Dragstrip, thus I'll only dial up the knob to 50%.

Then the next weather favorable test and tune day, I'll go back with the exhaust installed, plugs gapped, and maybe some 100 octane goofy gas, for giggles.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the new Garrett plug and play CAC has moved up to the front of the line, for the next requisition. Number after that, would be a cold charge pipe, or the combo hot and cold pipes, then possibly a supersonic BOV from Turbosmart. Then I am done burning cash, and will return to beating on motorcycles.

Last edited:

18-FX4-GUY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to upgrade my CAC too, I had the Mishomoto in my F 150 what a big difference over stock in IAT's and heat soak. If you get the garret let me know how it fits.

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well how are things going?
Any news for us regarding your exhaust, intake upgrades?

I plugged in the Pedalmax module and drove around a few days now, with it in it's untethered setting, there's no denying the directness of pressure on pedal = rpm increase, instantaneously, and not very much pressure required either, I really like the difference!

Plugged the Boostmax module in after work today, and drove home. Even though I have proven (to myself) that OBDLink MX performance calculations are faaaaaaaaar from relevant, I still went back to the well, one last time.

Tropical storms/hurricanes are out of here, and it appears the local track (same place I most recently went) has power now, so after work tomorrow, I'll see first hand, what all my crawling under and about has done for me.
Posting pics for a good laugh...

Screenshot_20181018-181225.png

Screenshot_20181018-181429.png

Screenshot_20181018-181449.png

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First pass tonight. I couldn't find my minicam mount, BUT - painter's tape to the rescue. I will post later when I get home and trim it down, and am on WiFi.

I am running only Pedalmax, no Boostmax tonight, didn't gap the plugs yet. Might do that this weekend, and come back here 7 days from now.

Forgot to turn off stop start again, so after I spun the rear tires to try and get the crap off, from waterbox that I couldn't drive around, the thing died. Traction control was off but I'm almost certain advancetrac may have been re-enabled. Will know on next pass, hopefully.

Running 10% Ethanol 93 octane Mobil.
2wd Hi
Current mods...the catback exhaust, AEM dry filter, JMS Pedalmax.
Boostmax disabled.
Might try next pass to turn BoostMax on to 50% which I think is only one full psi of increase. I believe on the f150's/Expy every quarter turn off the knob is half a psi. Short clip from staging lanes, via cellphone.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mwBQFArGLg9GaVM18

Link to onboard clip here -----> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pTvVk68pyg4PWo_HrNSqRCEFsKyOKPJw/view?usp=sharing

BTW...#161 is Expedition other was a Charger SXT (V6).
IMG_20181019_200934847.jpg

Last edited:

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
First pass tonight. I couldn't find my minicam mount, BUT - painter's tape to the rescue. I will post later when I get home and trim it down, and am on WiFi.

I am running only Pedalmax, no Boostmax tonight, didn't gap the plugs yet. Might do that this weekend, and come back here 7 days from now.

Forgot to turn off stop start again, so after I spun the rear tires to try and get the crap off, from waterbox that I couldn't drive around, the thing died. Traction control was off but I'm almost certain advancetrac may have been re-enabled. Will know on next pass, hopefully.

Running 10% Ethanol 93 octane Mobil.
2wd Hi
Current mods...the catback exhaust, AEM dry filter, JMS Pedalmax.
Boostmax disabled.
Might try next pass to turn BoostMax on to 50% which I think is only one full psi of increase. I believe on the f150's/Expy every quarter turn off the knob is half a psi. Short clip from staging lanes, via cellphone.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mwBQFArGLg9GaVM18

BTW...#161 is Expedition other was a Charger SXT (V6).
View attachment 27289

I could be wrong here, but if I remember correctly they're governed out at 98mph.

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could be wrong here, but if I remember correctly they're governed out at 98mph.

You are.
Not sure about other years, but the 18 is either 105 or 110 mph.

I broke 100mph through the lights tonight, and probably could have gone higher if i had at least one more pass, instead of TWO, cuz people bring shit to the track, blow it up, and instead of immediately stopping, they continue to coast down the track, coating the lane with their engine/transmission/rear end fluid(s)!!!!

This time left lane, right lane is 2012-14 GT Mustang, with Procharger, 3.73 rear, 6speed manual, Borla exhaust, Boss intake, tuning, Mickey Thompson ET rear, Weld Wheels, and bunch of other stuff I can't remember, I think E85, can't remember. Nice guy. "Treed" him pretty good though.

Link to onboard clip, loaded below timing slip. I edited down, but if you watch and listen near the end, you will hear my reaction from seeing the results from the timing slip!!!
IMG_20181019_212550096.jpg
Run starts about 2:26 for those of you who are impatient.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lcyg_cf7p2shhihvvPEPfxUMBB9dHxq0/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score

You are.
Not sure about other years, but the 18 is either 105 or 110 mph.

We were both wrong, according to Car and Driver
Ford Expedition / Expedition Max Reviews | Ford Expedition ...

https://www.caranddriver.com › ford Rating: 3.5 - ‎Review by ERIC STAFFORD

0–60 mph. 5.9 sec. Horsepower. 400 hp. Top Speed. 115 mph. View 82 Photos. Tested Model: 2018 Ford Expedition Max 4x4

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes