2018 Expedition HD Tow pkg potential upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
The numbers I used are the math for what it takes to accelerate 6k lbs to 60 in 4sec.

Now the better question is what can the driveline handle at max?!

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clearly there's the very real possibility for failure, relatively quickly, if I continually beat on it, even in completely stock form, if it were still, but that's not what the focus of the thread is centered around.

I haven't tried to really launch this thing very hard, at the track where there's prodigious amounts of traction available, for this very reason. Away from the track, I have, but again, I feel in that environment it is not that brutal to driveline components.

6000 lbs? That's a tad bit much for my true weight.
I'm 240lbs including the 4 lb helmet.
Ford claims curb weight of XLT STD WB, at 5692 lbs...
https://www.ford.com/suvs/expedition/models/expedition-xlt/
I usually try to show up with a third of the 23.3 gallon tank, gas is about 6.3lbs minus the 66% is approximately 90lbs less advertised curb weight.
Add 45lbs for Setina assembly on front end.
Reduction in weight by about 55lbs from OEM catback with resonator and enormously huge muffler.
~ 5832lbs
But since I'm only estimating on the difference in weight for exhaust, I'd concede to call it 5850lbs, as run down the course.

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The numbers I used are the math for what it takes to accelerate 6k lbs to 60 in 4sec.

Now the better question is what can the driveline handle at max?!

You continue to use 4 seconds, as though it's 4.0000, which is not what @Mike Wolfe nor I believe is a possibility, we're both at the opposite end 4.9999, possibly a smidge or two lower LOL.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You continue to use 4 seconds, as though it's 4.0000, which is not what @Mike Wolfe nor I believe is a possibility, we're both at the opposite end 4.9999, possibly a smidge or two lower LOL.

Thanks for the support
Another person has used a 5 star tune in my thread & is very happy with the results
He has not quoted any times
Just said it was a huge improvement over stock

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some new information from 5 star using E30 & E50 ethanol blends
Made some prodigious power
https://5startuning.com/fastest-2018-f150-3-5l-ecoboost-last-friday/
Thought you might be interested 5150 pops

Nahhh. I'm only planning to go a handful of times more, but I'll never do corn, at least, not anymore than 10%.

There's a fella running I think straight corn, plus a Whipple supercharger on a '18 Coyote V8 F-150 reg cab/short bed 4x4 DEEEEEEP into the low ten's.

There's a guy in Ohio, has an 3.5 Ecoboost truck on straight corn, and tuning, also running low ten's.

I simply want to see how low I can go, (EDIT: without flashing the ecu) with good ole high octane petroleum, then call it a day.
I submitted my time slip to dragtimes dot com, complete with timeslip, on Saturday. They've not updated their site, so either they're hella busy, or they think it's b.s. time.
Oh well.

EDIT number next: when I say straight corn, I'm referring to E85.
The fellow with the V8 '18 F-150 is from Jersey I believe he has a YouTube channel, that kind of follows his journey, building his rocket.
From what I can remember, he has huuuuge injectors, either a larger or an additional he fuel pump, supercharger, and lots and lots of other crap. He's a huge dude too, not to be mean, but if a lil fellow (definitely not me, not huge but 235+) maybe 155-165 lbs, behind the wheel, it may already turn a 9 second quarter, but that's not his objective. He wants to go as low as possible, with his bigass in there, AND without going into the motor. So his engine, most likely will grenade at some point, unless his transmission/transfer case/rear end/driveshaft does first.

He's the main reason that has prompted me to give the old box the beans at the track, even though it's a different engine, his is no doubt putting out much more torque than my v6 is with 1 or 2 additional pounds of boost over and above what Ford gives us.

Google or YouTube search for boosted f150 or boosted F-150, that thing rolls!

Last edited:

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
Going to leave this here. Racechip is a major manufacturer of amazing quality "foolers" aka piggy back units. The unit for the 2017+ 3.5l TT engine nets a 75hp increase and almost 100ftlbs of torque.

https://www.racechip.us/shop/ford/f...-5-ecoboost-3496ccm-375hp-280kw-470lb-ft.html

Best thing is your factory warranty will stay intact and the unit is 100% undetectable in the pcm unlike tuners such as 5* which void your warranty.

I've personally seen a racechip unit make a car running a high 13, cut a low 12 with the fast install. Same car gained more than a sec faster 0-60.

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going to leave this here. Racechip is a major manufacturer of amazing quality "foolers" aka piggy back units. The unit for the 2017+ 3.5l TT engine nets a 75hp increase and almost 100ftlbs of torque.

https://www.racechip.us/shop/ford/f...-5-ecoboost-3496ccm-375hp-280kw-470lb-ft.html

Best thing is your factory warranty will stay intact and the unit is 100% undetectable in the pcm unlike tuners such as 5* which void your warranty.

I've personally seen a racechip unit make a car running a high 13, cut a low 12 with the fast install. Same car gained more than a sec faster 0-60.

?????? So very confused by that post.

You may have missed it, but I have essentially the same thing already.
Mine is from JMS, but there are several of these products under different brand names, with different packaging dimensions, etc.

Burger Motorsports has jb4
Afe has Scorcher
Flowmaster has Deltaboost
Banks has Derringer

There's probably more out there too, but it's not like Bubba Gump, and them shrimp, they're all doing the same thing.