2018 Expedition platinum Max A/C problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any chance that yours is affected by the contaminated refrigerant problem? See post #21 for the service bulletin if you haven't already seen it.

Teasip

Reaction score
Any chance that yours is affected by the contaminated refrigerant problem? See post #21 for the service bulletin if you haven't already seen it.

Not sure which user you might be addressing, but my Expedition is shown as manufactured 2/18 (month and year) so the Ford bulletin may apply. I am planning on printing out and circling all the people's threads with the same problem and take to dealer, including service bulletin reference.

Debra Crocker

Reaction score
2018 Expedition Platinum I. Shop 2nd time for a/c. 1st time no freon(?). In shop 3 days. 2nd time after 2 hr trip blower quit blowing & air not cooling with. Next day it’s working fine for 2 hrs & repeat. Take it to shop & it’s working fine. Shop says Freon (?) at 50 percent. Hole in line. Replace hose & filled up Freon again. Asked about blower & they said - it shows no code. Frustrating.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recorded a video on my phone when the vents were blowing no air even though the fan was set to max. Also got a handheld digital thermometer off amazon to indicate temperature out of vents. Once I showed this to the senior tech they kept the car and ultimately repaired the rear a/c evaporator.

kendra Noel

Reaction score
I ordered my 2018 on Dec 5, 2017. It came in on Feb 15 and that is when I took delivery of it.
On March 12 we turned on the A/C and it just blew warm air. I took it to my dealer that afternoon and it has been there since. They have been unable to determine why it is not working and have gone to Ford
for help. What I have been told is that the A/C installed between early Dec and late Jan (I'm not real sure of the exact timeframe) have problems and the engineers are working to find a fix for the problem.
Needless to say, we are NOT HAPPY! To purchase an $80,000 vehicle, have just 600 miles on it and find out there is apparently an A/C problem that they did not know about (really?) or have a fix for is very hard to understand or accept. This is my first time to put something on the forum, but I think it is something that anyone that has purchased or is considering purchasing would want to know about. I do not have any problem with my dealer... they have been very understanding about my concern. I do have a problem with Ford! I don't want to believe they were aware of this problem, but shipped the vehicles anyway and put
the burden on the dealer to deal with the unhappy customer while the engineers try to find a fix to the problem. Like I just said... I don't want to believe it, but...?

Don

kendra Noel

Reaction score
Our 2018 expedition max had an A/c issue and was told that due to the car likely getting tainted Freon they had to replace the entire air-conditioning system. We did not have a car for over a month. It was also leaking hydraulic fluid from the stress. I finally got the car back on Friday and now the check engine light is on. We also had another issue a few months back where at the oil wasn’t getting to the engine quick enough on start up and it was making a loud rattling noise. I love this car so much but I’m getting really frustrated with all the maintenance issues that we have had in such a short amount of time :( we shall see Monday when we take it back in for check engine light. Anyone else had excessive issues with this year expedition ?

KEHO

Reaction score
I bought my Expedition Max in March 2018. Reached 30k miles and my AC went out last Wed. I took it in Thursday and they said it was a problem with the tainted freon on models built between a certain period. Apparently the tainted fluid was causing the system components to disintegrate. They also said they were not sure how they were going to fix it and might have to borrow a tool from Ford. After reading this forum I am even angrier that Ford has known about this problem since basically the start (based on the first post) and hasn’t issued a recall. The dealer claimed Ford would take care of it even if it wasn’t still under warranty (which it is, which I find doubtful since no mention was made of a problem Ford has apparently known about.

Kendra Noel how did your engine oil issue turn out? I have complained about what might be the same problem twice now. If I don’t drive the car for a day or 2 it has what seems to be a rough start like fuel or something else isn’t getting to the engine and it rattles. Of course all they say is their computer isn’t giving them an error message. I have no doubt they will keep ignoring the complaint and not investigate the problem until it is out of warranty unless I can tell them what the problem is.

Katie Halfen

Reaction score
my 2018 expedition max is at the Ford dealer now for no air conditioning. Just hit 50,000 miles. They checked and there is no freon left in the system. Can't find any leak. I don't have the vehicle but will check the build date. I live in Wisconsin so only use the air conditioning 3 or 4 months a year. The charge is over $700 for diagnostics and replacing the freon. They added a dye to try to trace the leak. Did anyone get ford to cover their repairs?