2018 spotted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You can check some of the other forums for discussions about mechanical, chassis and design issues. It looks like this one is more based on debates about $20 Chinese DVD player headrests.

It's pretty obvious from these comments alone why Ford made the changes it did.

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife and I test drove a Denali today AFTER the Navigator. Whoops, bug mistake there.

She got in the Denali and was like, "this thing is so boring" lol.

The guy knows we are looking at the Expy and Gator, and offered us the 18 Denali ultimate for 66k! They have to be scared of Ford now...

So for now we are at
1 Gator
2 Expy
TBD 18 QX80

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I test drove a Denali today AFTER the Navigator. Whoops, bug mistake there.

She got in the Denali and was like, "this thing is so boring" lol.

The guy knows we are looking at the Expy and Gator, and offered us the 18 Denali ultimate for 66k! They have to be scared of Ford now...

So for now we are at
1 Gator
2 Expy
TBD 18 QX80

What about from the outside? Those Denali’s look fantastic, in my opinion. I haven’t seen a Navi yet to compare though. But I do think the Denali looks better than the Expy, from the outside. I’d like your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What about from the outside? Those Denali’s look fantastic, in my opinion. I haven’t seen a Navi yet to compare though. But I do think the Denali looks better than the Expy, from the outside. I’d like your thoughts.

The Denali looks better, but if I get new wheels on the Gator, I think it will be very close. Also I care more about the inside, and IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denali is more of a competition for Expedition Platinum. The GM product to compare a Navi To is a Cadillac Escalade.

Pini

Reaction score
Even the Escalade is not close.
Remember that the current GM triplets have been out for 4 years now so of course a newly redesigned 2018 model isn't going to be as "boring" to most people.
With that said...the new Navi is still butt ugly and the Expedition Platinum is a cheap knock off Denali in so many ways from the outside.
I cringe every time I see a Navigator and think to myself..."damn someone is most likely paying a grand a month to drive in that ugly thing!"
I gotta give the QX80 some credit for at least trying to be different with the latest redesign...even tho it still looks weird to me. To each their own I guess.

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep I test drove a Denali last week, after several folks here talked about how good they are. Sorry but I just don't see it. First of all the Tahoe looks better (but has a smaller... engine) but Garrett is right, the interior isn't even close. I took one look at the third row and my immediate reaction was Nope.com. Immediate deal breaker when you consider that the Expy / Navi third row is usable by people over 10 years old. Well maybe you don't care about a third row at all. The frong seats were comfortable, about on par with the Expy. Rows 2 and 3 seats were not as comfortable as the Expy. Materials were OK, but on par with the non-Platinum Expeditions (aka $10,000 less). The tech functions were all there.

I tried to keep an open mind and took it for a drive. Maybe it's because I am used to driving a turbo, or maybe it's because I was above 5000 feet, but I found the Denali ponderous around town. The engine didn't do much until it revved above 2500 rpm, and the net effect was similar to a long turbo lag, with power coming on suddenly. The Expedition (non-platinum) had a much smoother power delivery and by comparison was downright peppy around town. Next I took the Denali to a freeway onramp and floored it. The engine was fully warm by this point. It roared to life, but despite the noise, the butt dyno results didn't seem any greater than the Expedition. At freeway speeds it had plenty of throttle response for passing which was nice.

Overall I felt disappointed. I honestly came there expecting the Denali to give the Expy a serious run for its money. I feel that the Expedition is overall better, and for not much more the Navigator would blow it out of the water. An Escalade is easily $10k more than the Navi.

The salesman was spitting game about how fast these are selling, so I'd better buy now. If I wanted to get it for less than sticker I could consider a '17. But there wasn't a single other buyer at the dealership lol.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember that the current GM triplets have been out for 4 years now so of course a newly redesigned 2018 model isn't going to be as "boring" to most people.
With that said...the new Navi is still butt ugly and the Expedition Platinum is a cheap knock off Denali in so many ways from the outside.
I cringe every time I see a Navigator and think to myself..."damn someone is most likely paying a grand a month to drive in that ugly thing!"
I gotta give the QX80 some credit for at least trying to be different with the latest redesign...even tho it still looks weird to me. To each their own I guess.

I agree the Navigator is not my cup of tea at all, but it has never been it just feels it’s for a more old or “mature” customer base than the Escalade. I’ve never been a fan of its interior or exterior styling. But everyone has different taste so to some it looks great so I can’t just call it ugly. When someone has already made an internal decision on a product when viewing the others they will put it down to justify their subconsciously made decision. Lots of science on that.

Last edited:

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What about what other's have posted and I kind of see myself, that the Navi has typically (at least with the previous generations) been for a more "mature" or older driver? At least that's the vibe I and many others think it gives off... I'm hoping to be convinced otherwise by you young guys. What do you think?