2018 spotted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember that the current GM triplets have been out for 4 years now so of course a newly redesigned 2018 model isn't going to be as "boring" to most people.
With that said...the new Navi is still butt ugly and the Expedition Platinum is a cheap knock off Denali in so many ways from the outside.
I cringe every time I see a Navigator and think to myself..."damn someone is most likely paying a grand a month to drive in that ugly thing!"
I gotta give the QX80 some credit for at least trying to be different with the latest redesign...even tho it still looks weird to me. To each their own I guess.

Most ppl who drive a navi want a smooth ride, comfy seats and ability of a truck without paying extra for a foreign suv with less capability. Thats the same reason ppl pay that much for an escalade or denali right. Obviously comfort is subjective, so because you may think a navi is ugly, that person is lookin at a person drivin an escalade like "why you a payin 1g a mnth for crap truck that everyone has"....thats what i think anyway. I try and get my dad to trade his in every chance i get lol.

Isnt the yukon denali a response to the ford expedition Eddie bauer trim in the late 90s? Arent the denali and escalade a product of the intoduction to the navigator? I remember when everyone said the 2nd gen expy n navi were the best looking on the market at the time of their release. The 3rd gens werent very well received cosmetically at launch, but now ppl love how they look. If ford didnt let the 3rd gen suvs ride out so long, we wouldnt be having such conversations because the updates wouldve kept sales up, letting ford introduce cosmetic additions like the denali and tahoe.

Also the qx80 gas been the same since 2011, and the 2019 only made changes to the front and rear to make it more "mainstream" looking in my opinion. Like what the 2015 expy n navi did to their 3rd gens. The qx80 and by ext the armada are not attractive at all, but are more functional than the gms.

Since this is a ford forum, i stand by my light gm bashing. i have a problem with overrated things that are held so highly without nothing in their name to prove it(tahoes, rx350s, in n out burger, lebron james). The lx350 for one is possibly the worst crossove suv out and yet ppl overlook q7s, cx9s, cayennes, and lincolns own mkx for a it. Its not a class leader for anything, yet it sells so well due to smart marketing and over saturation....wait

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What about what other's have posted and I kind of see myself, that the Navi has typically (at least with the previous generations) been for a more "mature" or older driver? At least that's the vibe I and many others think it gives off... I'm hoping to be convinced otherwise by you young guys. What do you think?
I think Lincoln's new designs over the past 2 or so years are much fresher and more appealing to a younger person like myself (mid 30s). I definitely used to regard Lincolns as old fogey cars and didn't really pay them much attention. Then I got upgraded to a new MKX as a rental this year and was pretty impressed.

In general I don't feel a need to convince anybody to accept my point of view, least of all about cars. Nor do I much care about how a certain vehicle will make me look to others. But just to give you a data point, I find the new Navigator to be attractively styled.

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The New Gator is anything but an old person ride. Get I one and you will see what I mean.

I'm test driving the new QX80 this week, but my guess is I'll end up with a Gator or Expy, which means I will wait a couple more months for incentives.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m 40 and just recently found myself in a position to consider a luxury vehicle as something in my price range. I always saw Lincoln as a fancier make but not just for old gray headed golfers, actually I saw most luxury vehicles as just something for people who can afford them and most people can’t really afford that type of item until they are in their 40’s or whatever. I wasn’t crazy about the exterior styling of the previous Lincoln’s, the grille looked like a bird beak to me. I do like the styling now, I believe the new grille started with the continental and it looks good. I also like the fact that it is domestic and built domestic, my current car is a Subaru but built in Indiana so I feel good about being able to still support an American factory. When GM took the bailout a few years ago I knew then I would probably not buy one, Ford didn’t not take the bailout and I had already owned Fords so I was probably going to remain a Ford guy. Having driven one and worked on a few mopar’s I knew I would never have one again. I do not like the looks of the QX80, I feel that the V8 is dated tech and prefer the lighter more efficient offerings of the eco boost (I realize I’m probably in the minority saying this and I do not want to discuss displacement, there are needs and room for both NA V8 and turbo v6 and my needs are met with the turbo at the moment) and I say that with a V8 parked downstairs as my play car so I realize the benefits of one but for my daily driver I just would rather not drive one. Like someone else said, I wanted something that could do truck and 4x4 stuff but not look like a truck on the inside, the Navigator totally nails this for my particular needs and compared to the other vehicles in its class I believe it’s the best value when compared to comparably built models from Mercedes, Infiniti, Audi, Land Rover, and Lexus. I should add that I think the Expedition looks way better now than last model year, we looked at them but waited for the redesign... we actually ordered our 2018 Navigator the day after seeing the 2017 Expy and Gator.

Last edited:

Pini

Reaction score
Didn't mean to offend anyone...I know everyone has their own taste but I'm just stating what I personally think of the Navi. I live in the Dallas area and I'd like to think I drive a decent amount of miles around town and I see a new Navi once a month maybe? Coincidence?
At some point the exterior looks have to matter somewhat don't they?
I mean you have to wash it regularly and look at it every day out in the driveway. Seats can only be so comfy in a car and the drive can only be so smooth.....

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Didn't mean to offend anyone...I know everyone has their own taste but I'm just stating what I personally think of the Navi. I live in the Dallas area and I'd like to think I drive a decent amount of miles around town and I see a new Navi once a month maybe? Coincidence?
At some point the exterior looks have to matter somewhat don't they?
I mean you have to wash it regularly and look at it every day out in the driveway. Seats can only be so comfy in a car and the drive can only be so smooth.....
When you say ‘new’ what do you mean? 2018 Navigators are barely out so I’m assuming you mean new as in 2017’s. If that is correct then I would have to say I, also, do not see many 2017’s it that particular body style nearly as much as I do the same year model Escalade or QX80. I do believe that last years body style is ugly. I believe the 2018 is a huge improvement and a step in the right direction.