2019 limited towing mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We get between 10 and 12 pulling our 23 foot travel trailer. I've gotten up to 15 before but that was going an average of 55.

I also lock out a couple of gears on the transmission to keep it out of boost and have the transmission do the work instead.
I’ve thought about locking out gears too. My assumption like you would be that the transmission logic would be to keep boost low but that appears to be incorrect in practice. I’ll try it our next trip.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve thought about locking out gears too. My assumption like you would be that the transmission logic would be to keep boost low but that appears to be incorrect in practice. I’ll try it our next trip.

Nope, it's the opposite. It drives the turbos harder when going up grades instead of downshifting. Even in tow/haul mode, my six speed will go up grades in 5th and 6th if you let it.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope, it's the opposite. It drives the turbos harder when going up grades instead of downshifting. Even in tow/haul mode, my six speed will go up grades in 5th and 6th if you let it.
I did actually find this in a travel trailer forum I belong to - appears that locking gears out actually drives the turbos less... giving better mileage.
upload_2021-6-11_12-7-16.png

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't notice any difference whatsoever PA to FL in all 10 gears vs FL to PA locked out at 8th. Guess I try again this summer to see what locked at 7th is like for a few tanks and see... Makes sense given max torque figures/worth a try!

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't notice any difference whatsoever PA to FL in all 10 gears vs FL to PA locked out at 8th. Guess I try again this summer to see what locked at 7th is like for a few tanks and see... Makes sense given max torque figures/worth a try!
Yeah, I doubt you would have. I watch the gear indicator all the time and I very rarely snuck into 9th or 10th gear unless we had a major tailwind, so under most conditions the programming pushes you into 8th gear at around 2100-2200 rpm and boost with turbo for all that wind resistance. We leave on a big trip in a couple of weeks so I'll have a lot of miles and a good comparison with last year's trip (same trailer) to compare.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not surprised a lower gear would provide better mpg. I think the Ecoboost runs rich under boost to use fuel for extra cooling and to prevent detonation. By running in a lower gear, the engine will see less load and not drive the turbos quite as hard. I guess I can find out soon. I just picked up the trailer from the shop and will be driving 5 hours to Corpus Christi in 10 days.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not surprised a lower gear would provide better mpg. I think the Ecoboost runs rich under boost to use fuel for extra cooling and to prevent detonation. By running in a lower gear, the engine will see less load and not drive the turbos quite as hard. I guess I can find out soon. I just picked up the trailer from the shop and will be driving 5 hours to Corpus Christi in 10 days.
LOL no you shouldn’t be surprised that’s exactly what I said May 15th!