2019 limited towing mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim Tallman

Reaction score
I am sure that there are other posts concerning this subject, just can’t find them. I have had my 2019 Exp limited for 1.5 years now and love it. I do pull a 14 ft enclosed trailer back and forth from FL to MI twice a year. The trailer weight is around 3800# and is above the Exp’s roof line by about 1.5 to 2 feet. I always tow in the advised trailering mode and keep my speed between 65 to 68 mph. The route is approximately 1400 miles, and get roughly 180 to 200 miles per tank, filling up at the 1/4 mark. Real mpg at the fill up is 9 at best. Any thoughts?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Normal. It's based on the aero of the trailer and your speed. If you drop below 65 you'll see a difference. Wind resistance is not linear, so small speed changes have a large impact on mpg, especially when towing. The trailer weight and length aren't really the determinate factors.

spanz

Reaction score
i have always wondered if you attached a small spoiler that deflected the wind up at the back end of the expedition, if the MPG towing would go way up! There have to be some awesome (as in bad) turbulence created between the SUV and the trailer front.

anyone ever see anything on such an accessory?

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am sure that there are other posts concerning this subject, just can’t find them. I have had my 2019 Exp limited for 1.5 years now and love it. I do pull a 14 ft enclosed trailer back and forth from FL to MI twice a year. The trailer weight is around 3800# and is above the Exp’s roof line by about 1.5 to 2 feet. I always tow in the advised trailering mode and keep my speed between 65 to 68 mph. The route is approximately 1400 miles, and get roughly 180 to 200 miles per tank, filling up at the 1/4 mark. Real mpg at the fill up is 9 at best. Any thoughts?
We get 7-9 mpg typically when going 65-70. I try to stay at 65 just because it's usually not worth the meager time savings past that. If speed limits were slower I'd go 60 but here interstates are 75mph.

If you want to know where your gas is going, swap out the turbo gauge for the transmission temp gauge - you'll see that at a certain speed those turbos are spooling 24/7.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are myriad threads on this...here's one:

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/towing-mpg.47086/

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I average 12mpg towing ~6k lbs with my car hauler in the Southeast U.S. on 93 octane.

As mentioned, keep your speed down (55 mph is optimal for fuel savings but not always practical,) keep your speed steady, don't use cruise control unless it's completely flat (the owner's manual says not to use it while towing,) don't accelerate hard, and try to keep the motor out of boost as much as possible. Good quality tires with low rolling resistance while properly inflated help as well.

That's my 2¢

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The exact verbiage from the manual with respect to towing and cruise.
“Turn off the speed control with heavy
loads or in hilly terrain. The speed
control may turn off automatically
when you are towing on long, steep
slopes”

Jrparne

Reaction score
On a 2020 we get 8.5 on premium gas with an 8000 lb trailer. I get to 9.5 with my canoe on top!!! Premium gas helps almost 1 mpg or more and the price increase over the long run is cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spotdog14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We get between 10 and 12 pulling our 23 foot travel trailer. I've gotten up to 15 before but that was going an average of 55.

I also lock out a couple of gears on the transmission to keep it out of boost and have the transmission do the work instead.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2016 F-150 with the 3.5 EB and 6 speed gets the exact same MPG as my 2019 Expy MAX with the 10 speed pulling the exact same loads the same distance and speed. Tons of boost but no eco. If the boost gauge is up the fuel mileage is down. 10 MPG or less is pretty common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk