2020 Expy Limited: missed shifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kahuna

Reaction score
I searched the threads for a similar problem but no luck - so here we go :)

On my 2020 limited 4x 25k miles I have a very rare but ugly shift issue. First it started while towing up hills twice in the same trip. While attempting to accelerate up hill it missed the shift and “slammed” back into gear. So loud my wife “yelled”!

I said “oh it’s ok honey it’s back” but then an hour later it happens again. I should add I didn’t have it in tow mode.

It’s now happened again without towing and just now up a short hill it went right out of gear. Idled a bit while I’m helpless with no peddle then went back into gear.

I have taken it to the dealer and they report no codes and can’t replicate. Well of course they can’t after test driving 14 miles.

Any suggestions or like issues??

We are upgrading to an airstream soon and I don’t want to have an undependable tow vehicle!

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I searched the threads for a similar problem but no luck - so here we go :)

On my 2020 limited 4x 25k miles I have a very rare but ugly shift issue. First it started while towing up hills twice in the same trip. While attempting to accelerate up hill it missed the shift and “slammed” back into gear. So loud my wife “yelled”!

I said “oh it’s ok honey it’s back” but then an hour later it happens again. I should add I didn’t have it in tow mode.

It’s now happened again without towing and just now up a short hill it went right out of gear. Idled a bit while I’m helpless with no peddle then went back into gear.

I have taken it to the dealer and they report no codes and can’t replicate. Well of course they can’t after test driving 14 miles.

Any suggestions or like issues??

We are upgrading to an airstream soon and I don’t want to have an undependable tow vehicle!

My only suggestion would be to placed the transmission in tow/haul mode when towing and see if the shifting issue recurs.

OP
OP
Kahuna

Kahuna

Reaction score
Thanks to clarify all incidents (3) have happened in normal drive mode. Although the first two I was towing but not in tow mode.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks to clarify all incidents (3) have happened in normal drive mode. Although the first two I was towing but not in tow mode.

Based upon your description, it sure sounds as though there is a transmission or software issue, or both.

I don’t have any suggestions again - other than to continue to return for warranty repair if the problem recurs. I would ensure that the dealer documents your complaint in writing on an invoice - and any work done (even if they can’t duplicate the issue and there are no codes).

My experience with buying a new 2015 Expedition Limited and subsequent defects is that the Ford dealers are not trained how to trouble shoot problems - they are computer code readers, who then repair or replace what Ford tells them.

I suspect you will continue to have transmission problems, just ensue you have everything in writing in case you must seek legal help. Good luck.

mhExped

Reaction score
I've encountered similar situations going up or down hills resulting a really harsh SLAM. I've complained about it on several service visits to the dealer and have gotten nowhere.

I do believe I've come across threads on this forum where others have complained of similar sounding experiences, though not all limited to ascending/descending hills. However, it is rare there's ever word of a diagnosis or fix.

Here's one thread that has had some recent activity, in case it may be relevant to your situation and you've not yet seen it: https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2018-transmission-clunking-slamming-in-gears.40606/

Good luck. And, please follow up here if you ever get to the bottom of your particular issue.

OP
OP
Kahuna

Kahuna

Reaction score
Well dealer reports again no codes and no indication of my problem while driving. He admitted how complicated these control modules are when they interact. When there are supposed to be stored codes there are none.

I ask for them to go back and ensure there’s no software updates and reload TCM completely if they think it would help.

Looks like I’m getting back again for more driving. They are advising to bring it in immediately with the “wrench” light on so they can capture the code. Assuming I’m in the hood :(

OP
OP
Kahuna

Kahuna

Reaction score
Ok so now a couple of weeks later and Ford is still scratching their heads. Fortunately I now have real evidence (codes) that have left a trail of bread crumbs.

With previous issues it didn’t leave a wrench or error message/codes on the modules when read. The last two missed shifts resulted in me catching the “Shift fault” message before it disappeared and the service guy was able to use my vin number and see what the car reported as it happened. I included the screen shot below from his screen. But still no codes left in the modules to report a problem - strange.

Basically modules were not communicating which put the car in a “blind” kind of situation for the TCM. Not knowing how fast the car was going I guess.

Ford “mother ship” is apparently reviewing the situation and will advise the dealer. Probably throw parts at the problem.

Im hoping for a fix. Love the vehicle except for this crazy missed shift issue! Otherwise I’ll go down the path of the Calif Lemon Law.

Attachments

• 3CF2E696-43C9-42F4-89C8-43399FCDC57A.jpeg
    3CF2E696-43C9-42F4-89C8-43399FCDC57A.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 39

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did they reflash the TCM, or tell it to do a relearn? Both are common when the 10Spd is acting up.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so now a couple of weeks later and Ford is still scratching their heads. Fortunately I now have real evidence (codes) that have left a trail of bread crumbs.

With previous issues it didn’t leave a wrench or error message/codes on the modules when read. The last two missed shifts resulted in me catching the “Shift fault” message before it disappeared and the service guy was able to use my vin number and see what the car reported as it happened. I included the screen shot below from his screen. But still no codes left in the modules to report a problem - strange.

Basically modules were not communicating which put the car in a “blind” kind of situation for the TCM. Not knowing how fast the car was going I guess.

Ford “mother ship” is apparently reviewing the situation and will advise the dealer. Probably throw parts at the problem.

Im hoping for a fix. Love the vehicle except for this crazy missed shift issue! Otherwise I’ll go down the path of the Calif Lemon Law.

I think you are the first one to report a fault when this happens. The lost communication with the BCM could be the reason!

OP
OP
Kahuna

Kahuna

Reaction score
Yes they did reflash the TCM. I assume that puts it in relearn mode.

This BCM lost communication problem is apparently rare for Ford too :)

More to come ….