2022 Expedition - Cracked Roof Panel; Cracked Lift gate Spoiler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Revere09

Reaction score
Why wouldn't the Ford dealership you went to help? Seems strange they tell you to go to the original dealership. I'm guessing they just didn't want to deal with it. My purchasing dealership is 700 miles away I'm not going there every time for a warranty claim.
Update: Rook
Why wouldn't the Ford dealership you went to help? Seems strange they tell you to go to the original dealership. I'm guessing they just didn't want to deal with it. My purchasing dealership is 700 miles away I'm not going there every time for a warranty claim.
Update: Took the SUV back to the original dealership (not dealership we purchased from). They indicated that were going to submit a claim with Ford Warranty and provide notes about this forum in there. The dealership was puzzled about this issue just like anyone else that sees the damage. Unfortunately we can’t use the tailgate due to the damage. We can load items using the lift glass but that only opens slightly. Still waiting to hear back from Ford. I hope everything works out for everyone on this forum.

Revere09

Reaction score

Update: Took the SUV back to the original dealership (not dealership we purchased from). They indicated that were going to submit a claim with Ford Warranty and provide notes about this forum in there. The dealership was puzzled about this issue just like anyone else that sees the damage. Unfortunately we can’t use the tailgate due to the damage. We can load items using the lift glass but that only opens slightly. Still waiting to hear back from Ford. I hope everything works out for everyone on this forum.
I will continue to provide updates.

MTB2022

Reaction score
i have a 22 xlt manual tailgate and it has the problem with the tailgate when there is ice . I have not damaged it yet but I have to pour hot water on the upper seam when there is Ice or the gate wont open more than about an inch. It appears that the center area of the plastic spoiler is slightly lower than the surface of the roof. With the close tolerance of tailgate to roof it appears to create a ice jam.

rccola

Reaction score
same problem in a 2022 Platinum - hit the open hatch botton on remote and some horrible sounds - didn't see anything wrong until driving on the highway a couple weeks later and kept hearing strange sounds - read this thread and looked on top of the spoiler and i have the same issues - cracked and a hole in my roof - pissed because this will be a long term problem due to design and I know Ford will try not to cover it

Revere09

Reaction score

Dealership informed me today that Ford engineers to don’t see any issues and we need to go through insurance. Ford won’t cover it. How ludicrous is this????

Revere09

Reaction score
Good news; when I got home from my vacation earlier this week I was able to take the car up to the dealership. They are going to fix it under warranty. I would encourage anyone else that has had this issue to fight it with Ford if they’re claiming they aren’t going to cover it. Happy to touch base to talk further if you want more details. Thanks for all your input!!
Hi. Can you provide some more details? Ford denied it and said we have to go through insurance. Thanks for your help!

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This reminds me of all the early 2000's Ford Explorers and Lincoln Aviators that eventually got the crack near the rear emblem on the rear hatch down the middle.

Mommy3610

Reaction score
I hate this for you. My 22 Max Limited has been waiting on a new lift gate since November (due to a wreck) and Ford won’t even give us an ETA on parts arrival. To say I’m pissed is an understatement.

mwalden

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Expedition Platinum and had the same issue twice in December. I used the remote to open the lift gate in cold weather (10-20 degrees) and the rear spoiler rides over the roof on one side and where it hits the roof I have the same damage. The dealership I purchased the vehicle from would not submit claim to Ford because the Service Manager didn't believe the plastic spoiler could damage the roof. I you could forward info on the warranty claim that Ford is honoring it could help my case.

Attachments

• PXL_20221205_132318694.jpg
    PXL_20221205_132318694.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20221205_140024158.jpg
    PXL_20221205_140024158.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 52

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I can tell this part didn't change for the refresh after checking the parts website for multiple years. I wonder what has changed since there didn't seem to be previous complaints on this that I've seen. Is the spoiler gap adjustable during install of the spoiler and it is being set too close so when water gets in there and freezes it expands to where it hits the roof when opening? It looks like that rubber gasket under the gap will allow water to freeze in there.

For those with damage, when were your vehicles built? This info is located on the driver's door sticker above the tire and loading sticker (where the VIN is). Maybe these were all in the same timeframe which could lead to someone installing them incorrectly from the factory or maybe a supplier issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230110-191611.png
    Screenshot_20230110-191611.png
    204.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20230110-191333.png
    Screenshot_20230110-191333.png
    318.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members