2022 Expedition - Cracked Roof Panel; Cracked Lift gate Spoiler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

giudi1md

Reaction score
Dealership informed me today that Ford engineers to don’t see any issues and we need to go through insurance. Ford won’t cover it. How ludicrous is this????
Did a ford engineer actually look at it or did they rely on commentary and photos from the dealership?

racitir

Reaction score
Same exact issue with our brand new expedition in cold weather. We are being bounced around between the dealer and ford and neither want to cover something that is very obviously a design flaw... Just wanted to reply and add to the conversation so that maybe, if enough people bring this issue to light, ford will be forced to cover damages...

UPDATE: ford has officially denied the claim, dealer wants $7800 to fix it... anybody interested in a class action suit...?

Attachments

• expedition roof.jpg
    expedition roof.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cant they find that info themselves by contacting Ford . Sheesh, they know how to give customers a hard time
It might be easier for them to see what might be on record for the VIN to know how to put the claim in to get it covered. I doubt they would be able to find it easily given the number of vehicles built. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but what do I know, I'm just an accountant...

bigwilly

Reaction score
I have to admit, this thread is scaring the crap out of me. Have had the new Expy for two weeks now and it's getting pretty cold out this week. I've been avoiding opening the lift gate early in the mornings. I hate feeling of having a brand new vehicle and being terrified of using one of the reasons I bought it.

Is anyone getting leaks in through the damaged area?

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same exact issue with our brand new expedition in cold weather. We are being bounced around between the dealer and ford and neither want to cover something that is very obviously a design flaw... Just wanted to reply and add to the conversation so that maybe, if enough people bring this issue to light, ford will be forced to cover damages...
Another occurrence.... wow.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is strange. Why is this only happening to 22's when it's the same design since 18 (I think).

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is strange. Why is this only happening to 22's when it's the same design since 18 (I think).
That's what I said too above. Doesn't make sense unless it is being installed differently (smaller gap) or new supplier or something. I think it would be helpful if those with the issues provided more details on their situation.

- Was it parked outside? One would assume yes.
- Was there any type of precipitation (rain, freezing rain, snow) that happened before it? One would assume yes.
- Did you clear the precipitation off the roof before opening?
- What was the coldest temperature before you opened it?
- When was your vehicle made?

I'll say that other rear hatch vehicles I've owned have never had a rubber gasket right under the gap between the gate and roof like the Expy does. I can see that area collecting precipitation and freezing. If that happens and you open that door bad things are going to happen.

Last edited:

Bmanxx13

Reaction score
Definitely seems to be limited to 22's. We have an '18 that was in -10 to -30 degree weather during the Holidays for 9 days, and we opened the lift gate many, many times. It was freezing, rained, and snowed almost the entire time during our stay with family. It was so cold the lift supports on the back glass stopped working until it warmed up as we were leaving, lol.