3 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hardly ever drive the XLT since it's my wife's. But with her brother in for the holiday, I've driven it more than I have to date. And I've come up with these questions--

1. Am I missing something or is the rear wiper blade about 1/2 as long as it should be to clean enough of the rear window to actually see what's going on. It almost looks like a stub that 'should' automatically lengthen when activated?

2. Connie complained a few days ago that she had opened the rear cargo hatch/door and while standing under it putting stuff in the cargo area, the hatch/door came down on its own and almost clocked her head. Yesterday, dropping Phil off at the airport, I was standing under the hatch door after removing his suitcase when the damn thing started coming down on me--twice!?

3. This one I could look up in the manual but it's equal venting and learning ;-). In my vehicle, Honda Ridgeline Black 2018, there's a button on the console next to the shifter for road conditions. Push the button and the screen displays ~5 road conditions: sand, snow, etc. Since the RL is AWD, that's all I need to do. But yesterday in the XLT I gave up on the circular 2WD/4WD/Road Condition selector as being completely non-intuitive (for me at least). I turned the thing and cycled through all the screen options and there was NO snow? That cannot be, it has to be an optional road condition setting?

If I were to push down on the 2W or 4W buttons, top L and R of the wheel, I guess that's the manual override to 2 or 4 wheel drive and the road setting would automatically be Normal.

If you put the vehicle in 4WD either by inference via a road condition setting or manually, then you would have to manually put the XLT in 2WD once the road cleared. I had left the XLT in 4WD and was surprised to feel no tire tension when turning on a dry road as we had with our 2000 Silverado and Suburban so something's sure different with now 4WD vs then....?

Mark

martin2018

Reaction score
I’ll try number #2

I would imagine you are activating the foot sensor to close the rear hatch. I would not think that standing and unloading would trigger the sensor.

Are you aware of the foot swipe function to close or open the rear hatch ?

It requires a lifted foot swipe on either side of the hitch. The manual describes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know the foot sensor is there and don't use it. Connie gave up on using it and just uses the button on the door.

I know that my feet were no where near the sensor when the door came down on its own.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's easy to accidentally trigger the foot closure thingymabob. I know I've been "attacked" while standing at the back of the vehicle changing my kid's diaper. And mine has opened due to the foot trigger while I'm walking behind the car before.

One of the available modes is "grass/gravel/snow". At least in my 4wd it is. Maybe that's not an option in a 2wd model?

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Regarding your last question, your 4WD mode acts more like the AWD of your Ridgeline. It mainly functions as 2WD and only sends power to the other wheels if it senses slipping. You shouldn’t feel any tire tension on a dry road.

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can leave the vehicle in 4WD all the time if you want. You won’t damage the vehicle by driving on a dry road with 4WD selected.

OP
OP
M

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Info your re leaving in 4WD really helps, thanks!

I read and understand how the RL's powertrain really does all kinds of 'stuff' for the various road conditions and I can feel a very significant difference between normal and snow.

Is there some significant 'stuff' going on with the XLT and 4WD normal vs 4WD snow or are the settings more a 'feel good' thing?

Mark

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
upload_2019-1-3_11-12-58.png
Your guess is as good as mine as to what "default slippery tuning" means.

But here's what is affected in the mode changes:

• Electronically power-assisted steering system adjusts steering effort and feel based on the mode you select.
  • Electronic stability control and traction control maintain your vehicle control in adverse conditions or high performance driving.
  • Electronic throttle control enhances the powertrain response to your inputs.
  • Driveline settings optimize with shift schedules tuned to each drive mode.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ill tackle your first question. It is smaller, i thought it was due to parts, however, i realized the wiper actually covers fully the height of the liftglass. The liftglass is very short, esp compared to width, but it covers the area directly btw the third row headrests. Im surprised at the attention to detail for this one thing lol.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On number two. The antenna lead wire runs from frame rail to frame rail at the very lower edge of the valance. The instructions specify either side of the hitch to prevent hitch interference from preventing operation. There is not much to prevent a up or down movement at the rear bumper to accidentally activate the gate. It may be one of those unintentional stay clear things. That is one of the reasons why mine is disconnected, the other is I do not want the gate accidentally opening inside the garage.(Bad JuJu)