Another issue on my '22 SPP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At ~6k miles the brake booster failed and my wife lost majority of the brakes. $4k warranty repair plus rental car through Ford.

Just gets a warning today at 12k ; "Charging System Service Now"

She's 1.5 hours away with our 4 kids. Quick Google search on the warning looks a little scary.

Anything to say, anyone?

On the phone with Ford now.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Likely alternator or battery related if the warning is for the charging system. If the vehicle is still running, I'd disable auto start/stop to reduce strain on the charging system.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This Start/Stop tech is the Dumbest thing Car manufacturers could have done. All it does is put more wear on the starter, Battery and alternator and makes people stranded somewhere because of it when the systems fail due to it
Any facts to back this up? This tech has been around well over a decade. All the shiny tech and modems and processors put far more strain on the electrical systems. Facts on my statement are backed up by the police vehicles that do not have auto start stop but require specialized alternators, batteries, and wiring to handle the bells and whistles.

Just gets a warning today at 12k ; "Charging System Service Now"
it’s either the BMS or the alternator, either way it has to be tested. You can just go to any auto zone and they can test it free. Or Napa.
If system is working just keep going. If not then maybe make it back and disable the air con radio, etc. to get home.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the lovely auto start stop BS shuts it down, its likely to not retire if the alternator isn't working and charging the battery. Just run it til it pukes, no other options.....

OP
OP
M

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Driving it again and the battery light is back on the lower right.

Few days ago I hopped in it to drive around the corner and there was no power to the driver door accessories. Next trip it was fine.

Hoping this truck doesn't have electrical demons, I'd be getting us out of it into something else if so.

Avee8tor

Reaction score
The start stop feature kills the battery is you do a lot of short trips, the charging system can't keep up with the demand. My old 2018 was using a battery, replaced by Ford under warranty, every 10 or so months until the first thing I did after starting was disable start stop then no longer an issue.

Sadly this feature is to comply with minimum EPA requirements.

OP
OP
M

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fortunately my 5.0 F150 had factory stop/start deleted.

I'll have it picked up tomorrow, turns out the issue is not battery or alternator. According to dealer service, the issue is the front grille shutter actuator. It popped the charging system alert as it's tied into the same circuit.

stargazer

Reaction score
The start stop feature kills the battery is you do a lot of short trips, the charging system can't keep up with the demand. My old 2018 was using a battery, replaced by Ford under warranty, every 10 or so months until the first thing I did after starting was disable start stop then no longer an issue.

Sadly this feature is to comply with minimum EPA requirements.
They sell dongles on the aftermarket to disable the start/stop at stopsigns and red lights.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fortunately my 5.0 F150 had factory stop/start deleted.

I'll have it picked up tomorrow, turns out the issue is not battery or alternator. According to dealer service, the issue is the front grille shutter actuator. It popped the charging system alert as it's tied into the same circuit.
My 2023 5.0L V8 also has the auto start stop delete, was so happy when I saw it on the window sticker. Worthless feature. It’s comjng back to the F-150 for the job 2 trucks (lame).